Widescreen monitors - why?

Soldato
Just curious, personally I don't really see the point, surely if you have one with both the horizontal and vertical size it's better? Yet I see widescreen (which to me usually means shorter vertical range) going for far more.

Whats the reason behind it? watching movies?

Associate
I think partly due to the whole screen production industry making the switch to the widescreen standard and partly due to user desire.

Once you've used one you'll probably not want to switch back (assuming you're not losing big chunks of Vertical resolution that is). Games that FULLY support widescreen are really nice too, and even ones that don't are still enjoyable.

General computer use is more subjective, it really depends upon what you're doing, but again so long as you're not losing vertical it's never worse than conventional screens.

The price difference you see I think is manufacturers trying to shift the regular screens by making them a little more attractive while gouging the widescreen prices a little to recoup the losses.

All I can really add is it is hard to appreciate unless you've fully used one.

Soldato
OP
Must admit I haven't really used them, I do have a widescreen laptop but don't use it much, more down to simply not liking laptops rather than the screen size though.

Now I just have to find myself a decent 19"+ monitor that can game fairly well :)

Commissario
i think jokester etc have hit the nail on the head.

The human field of view can cope with "widescreen" ratios better than portrait one.

I guess it's down to the fact we have two eyes side by side rather than one, or two one above the other.

Soldato
quick question (forgive the thread hijack) i'm a serious gamer playing cs1.6 at a high level and am thinking of picking up a 20"tft monitor for xmas, just curious i play this game at a resolution of 640x480 (now before people start having a go at why my comp is so high spec for the res i play at i have reasons), i'm just wandering will i notice any loss in vision (i.e. on screen) with this resolution?

Permabanned
CS:S on my 20" Dell is great. 1680x1050. It gives you an advantage in games because you can see further to the side without turning your mouse.

I can't understand why anyone wouldn't like them. As said as long as you don't lose any vertical resolution then it is only better.

Soldato
Many games don't support WS out of the box. Widescreengamingforums does a fantastic job of rectifying this, however, it's far from ideal. Let's say I reformat - i'd have to go through and reapply every fix for all my games. A normal aspect monitor is supported right from the install.

HOWEVER films are supported out of the box, and normally look a lot better on a widescreen monitor. I really don't like watching films on a non-WS monitor or TV now.

When I order my next monitor, it's pretty much going to come down to price, which, let's face it, unless the E207WFP plummets,or the 2007WFP drops by £30, the 2007FP has that round won.

Suspended
harris1986 said:
fair enough, would you be able to take a screenshot of it at 640x480? if it's really bad then i'l just get a samsung syncmaster 997mb CRT me thinks!

Widescreen all the way, I went back to a 19" Samsung and it's weird (in a bad way)

Soldato
harris1986 said:
fair enough, would you be able to take a screenshot of it at 640x480? if it's really bad then i'l just get a samsung syncmaster 997mb CRT me thinks!
I wouldnt recommend cs 1.6 at that res on a 20" widescreen, you'll be able to see everything but it won't look nice, i've got a 20" widescreen and I used to play cs 1.6 in that res also (not for hardware reasons, I just prefered it that way, I played better that res i was more accurate and faster etc).

Soldato
you are probably right in that i should go ws for my gaming, but i just can't help but have something in the back of my mind in that to this day every major lan tournament that i attend people they use CRT monitors, why is this?

Soldato
They use it because of the refresh rate - on a CRT monitor they can go over 100!, on TFT monitors max is around 75 and normal is 60 = why pro gamers (playing cs for money etc) use CRT monitors, does make a difference.

Once you got cs out of your system, go for a WS monitor.

Back
Top Bottom