Sponsoring hell

Soldato
Merlin's making a fair point. As long as it's a worthy cause (not asthmatic gerbils and the like) everyone I sponsor gets £5; no more, no less. However, if you get a whole bunch of people you know taking part in the same event or it's that charitable time of year (Comic relief, Children in Need, etc) you could end up coughing out a small fortune on 'worthy causes'.

My opinion is that it's the charity you're giving the money to that counts, not the person you're sponsoring. So if I've already pledged £20 to Save the Mongoose I'm not going to sponsor anyone else no matter how much you promise to be my bezzie mate for life/shoot me scornful looks across the office.

Man of Honour
dmpoole said:
We've been through this before.
You don't need to tell me that.

dmpoole said:
The jumper should pay for his own training and give all the sponsorship to charity.
And if said jumper can't afford to pay out of their own pocket? The jumper doesn't get to jump and the charity gets no money. Great.

Man of Honour
Well if it's a question for Gilly then e-mail him. His and other mods' e-mail is on the FAQs.

He has a job to do at the end of the day and if you disagree with something then sounding off on the forums will result in a suspension or a ban and it isn't worth it for 5 minutes of red mist.

This ain't a go at you or Gilly.

I have been hacked off at some mod decisions but I don't pay the bills so I don't sound off on the boards and I have taken it to e-mail on the few times I have felt it warranted.

Soldato
Von Smallhausen said:
He has a job to do at the end of the day and if you disagree with something then sounding off on the forums will result in a suspension or a ban and it isn't worth it for 5 minutes of red mist.

Very well put Von :)

Now if we can get OT :p

Man of Honour
Back on topic now please. Everyone should know to contact mods off the boards if they have a question or a point to raise, because everyone should have read the FAQ.

Soldato
the last thing i sponsored someone for was an ice hockey match where the winning team donated to a charity, my mates was cancer research so i gladly donated to that , but i know what you mean some people will want sponsoring for going to work soon

Soldato
I can see where you are coming from, people looking for sponsorship seem to try and badger people into parting with their cash. Supermarkets are the worst for this, people waiting in the entrance/exit.

When I ran the London Marathon in 2005, I had real problems getting people to donate (even collecting with buckets at the student union etc) because that year people had Tsunami rammed down their throats. People were sick of giving their money to charity.

Soldato
I refuse to sponsor or donate money to anyone who asks me. It's a form of legalised mugging. The folks with charity buckets who walk around and try to put you on the spot in public by asking for money are the most annoying though. I've become quite versed in telling them to go away now. You get used to them looking disgusted at a refusal and it usually results in them trying to insinuate that you're some sort of monster for not giving away everything I have each time they do the rounds.

On the other hand, I make a point of giving whatever change I might have to those who just stand somewhere and wait for donations, without coming up to me whilst I'm sat with friends and loudly declaring that I should give my life savings to them right there and then.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Kell_ee001 said:
Very well put Von :)

Now if we can get OT :p

Good idea.
I agree with the OP - some of the pathetic things people ask you to sponsor them to do make me cringe.

When I was 15 we played 5-a-side footy for 12 hours for charity. Some people make an effort like running a marathon or eating 20 pies or something.

I'm not shy about giving to charity and will happily sponsor people who are doing something challenging which requires a bit of effort.

I object to being asked to sponsor people to do mundane everyday things which take little effort.

A couple of years ago, I was coerced into sponsoring my 2 year old God-daughter (how could I refuse?) to walk once around a running track - that's 400m FFS :rolleyes: At 2 years old she was running about 20 miles a day around the house - 400m is hardly challenging.
I was also asked to sponsor somebody (adult) to knit for 6 hours - I told them to **** off, my Granny used to knit for 12 hours a day every day to make a living, 6 hours is not a challenge.

Stan :)

Soldato
ElRazur said:
Gilly yes it does, i wont be drawn into a debate with you. The OP dosent feel like the money he is giving away is worth what they do to earn it, same way i feel about charity - My view on charity is parallel to that, why should i sponsor someone to fund their expensive habit?

Walking and dancing are NOT expensive habits :rolleyes:

In fact, the OPs opinions are the polar opposite to yours. He thinks what they are doing doesn't deserve to be sponsored whereas you think they are all too expensive...

Someone does something, say bungee jumping. Rather than saving up and going to do it they decide to do it for charity, the charity gets money and they get to do something that they otherwise might have never done. Everybody wins, so where is the issue?
Why should the person doing something that might be dangerous or require lots of training (marathon etc.) pay for it when they are contributing their time and effort into it rather than some money.

And if you don't want your opinions to be challenged, don't post them :)

Edit: Although I do agree with the OP, it should be something that requires effort on the part of whoever is being sponsored and not some crap like walking a mile.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bigstan said:
A couple of years ago, I was coerced into sponsoring my 2 year old God-daughter (how could I refuse?) to walk once around a running track - that's 400m FFS :rolleyes: At 2 years old she was running about 20 miles a day around the house - 400m is hardly challenging.

I didn't do things like that however 2 of the main things I remember doing for charity are running around Windsor Great Park (anyone who knows me and my veiws on running will know how much effort that is for me :p ) and learning sign language. That one was fun as I got to teach everyone that sponsored me how to sign their own name :)

Associate
Flash Maclean said:
I can't stand it when the first couple of names (mums, dads, other halfs) on a sponsor sheet have obviously been coerced into putting down £5 or £10, thus making the first person to offer less look cheap.
When my g/f did a sponsored jog/amble around a park, the sponsorship pack actually suggested that the first person gave a fair bit so that others would feel obliged to do so.

Associate
Bigstan said:
I was also asked to sponsor somebody (adult) to knit for 6 hours - I told them to **** off, my Granny used to knit for 12 hours a day every day to make a living, 6 hours is not a challenge.

Stan :)

who gets all this sponsor money??

Caporegime
RE: charity rep's on the streets/shop entrances.

It's actually illegal for them to approach and ask for money (note: asking for a moment of your time is not) as that classifies as begging. Begging is still illegal.

I'm starting to hate charities. Not the cause/problems/epidemics/victims/people in need.. the charity foundations/associations. Nearly every ad break has some poor kid in africa half dead on a hospital bed somewhere and "just £2 a month" will save him.. christ almighty, do I really need reminding every 15mins? It's not like they are even doing until we pay em to shut up as they don't go away!

When working on Liverpool Street, every 3rd person was a charity rep from Bernados or Unicef.. if I were to agree to donate a tenner to every rep I met from Broadgate to Liverpool Street Stn. I'd need to win the lottery 3 weeks in a row just to pay off the debt.

/pseudo old man rant.

Back
Top Bottom