Wireless Lan and Lan

Associate
Right, my xbox 360 is coming in the next week or so and im hoping to get playin xbox live.

my current situation is that i have a dlink router upstairs, based on the "192.168.0.x" ip system. now i connect the pc in my room to this router via wirless. i also have a spare ethernet port on my pc.

i was wondering how to go about using internet connection sharing, to share the internet connection coming through the wireless, to the ethernet port, so i can connect the xbox to the ethernet port for its internet access.

internet connection sharing wont let me do this - something to do with ip conflict on the lan. i know ICS requires the ip address 192.168.0.1, but no other device (including the router) on the network is using this address.

can anyone PLEASE help me?!?

regards

jonny

Soldato
If it's reporting a clash of IP's then there probably is a clash.

Before enabling ICS, open a command prompt and use ipconfig /all to see the current IP addresses in use. Based on that you might be able to work out where the clash is.

Associate
OP
ns400r said:

Before enabling ICS, open a command prompt and use ipconfig /all to see the current IP addresses in use. Based on that you might be able to work out where the clash is.

there is no clash

there cant be a clash

ipconfig shows only one IP due to the fact im only connected to one network so there can only be one active IP.....

Associate
OP
gord said:
Your router wireless IP needs to be changed. We changed ours to 192.168.1.#

That way ICS can work.
thanks, ive already done that. its 192.168.0.10

still wont work

tried bridging the 2 connections, but that led me to losing my internet connection on pc

Soldato
try the 192.168.1.# setup if you havnt already.. it may still not like it in the 192.168.0.# zone.. even though it shouldnt make a difference.

Which connections did you bridge.. your wireless access and the xbox LAN?

Soldato
ns400r said:

Undo all the bridging!
After doing this, enable ICS and repeat the ipconfig /all.
What is now reported?

Associate
OP
ns400r said:
Undo all the bridging!
After doing this, enable ICS and repeat the ipconfig /all.
What is now reported?
ive been doing that for ages, thats where i started, im not been rude, but there isnt an IP problem!

i found a solution to my bridging problem. and now my connections are bridged and the internet is working. should work with my xbox now id have thought.......

thanks fr the input guys

jonny

Associate
OP
ns400r said:
If you set your router to 192.168.0.10 then the first IP address the router can spit out is now 192.168.0.1. This happens to be the same IP address that ICS will try to assign to the ICS card.

nope, i changed the DHCP to only assign addresses from 192.168.0.2 to 254 or whatever

Back
Top Bottom