Zen - Speeds gone crazy fast!

Soldato
Not sure what is going on here tonight. Been doing some downloads from my usual source.
Normally I get between 700 to 790k on downloads (around 1GB of data usually) which has always seemed about right for 8 meg DSL. However tonight I have been consistently pulling 1200k average on downloads.
I would be fine if it just spiked to that sort of speeds but its been maintaining it consistently.
Anyone have any clues what is likely to be going on? Router is still synced at 8192 as normal :confused:

Should add that I am not complaining LOL

Deleted member 58846

D

Deleted member 58846

Craig321 said:
Reboot/reconnect, maybe you got upgraded to 12mb?

Zen Internet don't have the upgrade implimentation on their network. What the customers sign up for they get. I did notice this morning I was downloading .net Framwwork 3 redist package 50mb and it downloaded in around 35 seconds. I really don't no whats going on. Burst of speeds all around today I think. hmm

Deleted member 58846

D

Deleted member 58846

killsta said:
That's impossible, 1200K/s is just over 10Mbit.

thats what I thought, but it did this morning. I went to put the kettle on came back up stairs and it was done. Don't know what happened.

Soldato
Ive encountered similar on 56K. Used to download stuff at 5K max, one day, i had a steady download of 20K.. and not just a burst.. actual incoming traffic was 20K cutting my download to 1/4 of its previous time.

I know that wireless signals can improve with certain atmospheric changes, i think that has something to do with ionisation, but i cant see it affecting wired.

Weird!

Associate
the_chicco said:
I do know the big ISPs use a lot of caching hardware / software for files that are downloaded a lot.

ISPs don't really do this anymore because bandwidth is cheap. Its more cost effective to buy bandwidth at £4/mbit than maintain complex tranparent proxies.

Soldato
OP
I dont think it was cached, I was getting some binary news feeds via my ngroups account.
I did some more testing after rebooting my router last night (still synced up at 8192).
Ngroups have various server feeds based on geographical location, I have the EU servers and East Cost USA ones set up in NZB-O-Matic.
EU servers gave the usual near steady 750k.
Swapped over to the USA one (still downloading the same group of files - in some cases partially through the same file) and the downloads jumped up to 1400ish then settled at 1250k and remained that way for the duration of the download.
Seemed consistent over the few sets of files I downloaded too, around 2.5 GB of data total.
Speed test results at Speedtest.net where not consistent with either the higher speed or my normal download rate. Which is about par for the course, that thing never seems to get beyond 300k download on either of my dsl connections.

Ho hum, like I said, not moaning or that. Just wondered what was going on and trying to keep it that way LOL.

Soldato
Something somewhere must have been displaying incorrectly.
As somebody has already said - the speeds you are quoting are just not possible.
It's like me saying I've got a 17" LCD panel and yesterday I ran it at 1600x1200.
There aren't physically enough pixels contained in the 17" panel for me to run at that resolution.
At the same time there is no way you can possibly get those speeds on a "perfect" 8MB BT MAX connection and I don't think I've spoken to anyone who has got a perfect MAX connection.

I'm sitting around 500m from my Exchange and have been synced at 8mb since I was upgraded to MAX back in April.
During those off-peak times I've seen transfer rates of 750kb/sec which is really as good as you can physically get on an 8mb connection.

Permabanned
Yup 860k is the max you should be able to get on an IPstream connection. even if soething was changed at Zens side to allow you to connect at 24MB, because you synch speed is 8mb it would do nothing at all.

I have seen a couple of LLU connections synch at higher speed but never on BT. Probably just an incorrect reading. Try and do it again. ;)

Soldato
the_chicco said:
Could it have been cached somewhere (Zen side) perhaps?

I do know the big ISPs use a lot of caching hardware / software for files that are downloaded a lot.

Wouldn't matter anyway, even if it was cached there's still only a 7.5Mbit connection between you and the cache server...

Soldato
OP
Well something was up, got home from work tonight and the broadband wasnt working at all - kept loosing sync which I have never had after the initial 10 days of Max.
Ah well

Back
Top Bottom