360 Wi-Fi adapter

Soldato
there are others that are slightly cheaper to use mate but to be honest id stick the MS one, it clips on nicely, looks good and works a treat.

if the price is putting you off then grab a second hand one or find out if the import ones worth, i bought mine second hand for £35 :)

Caporegime
saintly said:
The MS one seems VERY expensive. Are there many others available that people are using?

As far as I know there is only 1 genuine wifi adaptor which is the official MS one. They don't want to license this to any third parties (AFAIK they don't want anyone else to make wireless peripherals either).

The ones other people are using are Ethernet to Wireless Bidges. They plug into your ethernet port and this then has wifi on the end which connects to your WLAN. They do the same thing but are not USB wifi dongles like the MS one.

rp2000

Soldato
I'm using THIS.

Took me about 2mins to give it the static IP I wanted using the web interface then set it on a DMZ on my wireless router (though I could have forwarded all the individual ports, I couldn't be bothered :p ) and it was working! Hasn't let me down since! Cost me ~£23 I think? Much cheaper than £65 for the MS official one! The only downside is it doesn't work from USB, it needs a plug. Hardly seems worth paying ~£42 more to use USB! Plus it looks cool (in a geeky kind of way) on top of my TV :D .

Last edited:

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

St0rmer66 said:
I'm using THIS.

Took me about 2mins to give it the static IP I wanted using the web interface then set it on a DMZ on my wireless router (though I could have forwarded all the individual ports, I couldn't be bothered :p ) and it was working! Hasn't let me down since! Cost me ~£23 I think? Much cheaper than £65 for the MS official one! The only downside is it doesn't work from USB, it needs a plug. Hardly seems worth paying ~£42 more to use USB! Plus it looks cool (in a geeky kind of way) on top of my TV :D .

Interesting setup.

I suggest you sear [thread=17649660]this[/thread] into your skull so you don't forget next time.

Soldato
sorry i'm a complete idiot who's been umming and ahhing about buying a wireless adapter. My xbox is right next to my pc which runs off a wireless connection, now the wireless adaptor for the pc is usb but i also have a standard network card with ethernet connector, If i enabled this and connected it to my xbox would that work and save me some dough?

Soldato
DanH84 said:
sorry i'm a complete idiot who's been umming and ahhing about buying a wireless adapter. My xbox is right next to my pc which runs off a wireless connection, now the wireless adaptor for the pc is usb but i also have a standard network card with ethernet connector, If i enabled this and connected it to my xbox would that work and save me some dough?
I don't think it's that easy..But i maybe very wrong here..

Caporegime
DanH84 said:

I think you could just use Internet Connection Sharing (assuming you are using win2k or above) to share the Internet connection you get from your Wireless to your ethernet port which you would connect to your 360. But you would have to have your PC on all the time which is the downside.

Something like this i'm sure.

rp2000

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll give it a try in the morning as I've tidied spare cables away. Hopefully it works, I'll post back either way. (PC being on all the time is no problem at all by the way - much to the billpayers chargrin!)

Caporegime
DanH84 said:
I'll give it a try in the morning as I've tidied spare cables away. Hopefully it works, I'll post back either way. (PC being on all the time is no problem at all by the way - much to the billpayers chargrin!)

You will need a Crossover RJ45 (LAN) cable, not a normal Straight one.

rp2000

Edit: Sod the bill payers what about the environment!!!! :D

Permabanned
DanH84 said:

I have had a LOT of trouble using crossover and ICS and i actually fix computers for a living. Best thing i ever bought was a 5 port hub (by some company called EDIMAX) cost about a fiver. However if you miles from your router/hub this wont help. I have the MS wireless adapter and i can wholly recommend it it works very well, ive also heard good things about those ethernet to wireless systems as mentioned above. At the end of the day your better of splashing the cash than having a bad live experience. My vote, if you cant cable it in, get the MS adapter or that gaming adapter, do Not use ICS cos its a pain.

Caporegime
People often forget that Microsofts offical Wireless adapter is also tri-band. It supports a/b/g where-as most only support b/g. Anyone who knows Networking will tell you that 'a' is a must for wirelessly broadcasting video over a wireless network as it minimilises network congestion.

Associate
I have the official MS one and would echo the sentiments of people on here, it's deffo worth the dosh.

I used a wireless bridge first off and had connection issues, not only from the 360 but also from the pc. Decided to bite the bullet and get the official one and it has worked like a dream :p

Associate
Yup I also use the MS one. Was £70, but when it means I can plonk my 360 wherever I like in the house and still have Live access, it's worth it.

Especially handy when the missus starts moaning that she wants the TV ;)

Soldato
The official one is a tad pricey, but it works real well. As someone said, it is a one fits all since it is a/b/g compatible. Not cheap, but small, dead easy to setup and reliable.

Back
Top Bottom