Favourite stretch of road

Soldato
What is your favourite stretch of British road to drive on?

I'll start with the A34 between the M3 and the M40 which I drive on loads. Doesn't have any speed cameras and has a good selection of bends and ups and downs. Quality landscapes all around as well.

Man of Honour
A4069 Brynamman -> Llandovery.

Winding mountain roads, uphill and downhill stretches, no police, no cameras, little traffic, generally good surface.

Don't **** it up or you'll be looking for a new car....

Soldato
For long straight (no camera) roads, I just noticed yesterday that the M5 from Gloucester to Bristol bit is fantastic.

For twisty roads..........anywhere, as long as there are corners I can make em fun :)

Don
B3230 Barnstaple -> Lynton Cross
A3123 Lynton Cross -> Mullacott Cross
B3343 Mullacott Cross -> Woolacombe

A very challenging 15 miles taking in all types of technical cornering and road surfaces. To ride it fast you have to be very good indeed.

Soldato
Theres a road in between Witney in Oxfordshire and Faringdon in Swindon (not sure what its called) that takes in Brize Norton, Bampton and Clanfield and I guess must be about 15 miles. Having had to do this stretch of road many times and at a fair pace to get to work on time, my trusty 205 1.6 could get me there in about 20 minutes or a bit less if returning home at 2am.

Once you know a B road very well with its bumps and ruts and you learn the best lines with a great handling car, driving to work can be a pleasure.

And now living in Pembrokeshire, West Wales the Presseli mountain road from Haverfordwest to Cardigan can keep you on your toes!

Last edited:
Associate
Originally posted by EddScott

And now living in Pembrokeshire, West Wales the Presseli mountain road from Haverfordwest to Cardigan can keep you on your toes!

Good road that. Some good ones in that part of the world. (Originally from West Carmarthenshire, Pendine).

Don
A30 , A303

rocks my world, or trelonan flat near Portscatho, true rallying road at night time silly speeds are acheivable and if it all goes wrong a muddy field is all you will hit :D

Soldato
Deepest Northumberland, to the to the north and west of Morpeth, there are some great roads. No police at all, very little traffic, good fun in meh Punto :D

Permabanned
EdScott i live next to Carterton and know the road you mean well, just look for a graphic'd P1 ripping it up :)

However, my award for best road goes to the one near Camb, its at the A1 and A14 junction just west of it, Car magazine use it as a test road - not sure - but believe its the B1060 or b4060 its a little west of that jn heading south on a beautiful open, windy road with exquisite tarmac that you can see into corners to really give it some :)

Man of Honour
Any moorland roads across Dartmoor. Especially Tavistock - Okehampton (no limits, nice and bendy and hilly, no cameras).

Drove them all yesterday while car hunting, had to slow down after about 20 mins cos my brakes started to fade.....

Can't wait to try them in whatever new car I get :D

-Dolph

Soldato
Originally posted by eidolon
For long straight (no camera) roads, I just noticed yesterday that the M5 from Gloucester to Bristol bit is fantastic.

For twisty roads..........anywhere, as long as there are corners I can make em fun :)

you work in gloucester or somethin mate?

for me theres a little bit of road just outside cheltenham that I love driving down.. but for longer straights id say either a417 from the airballon to zoons court or the m4 from newbury to cardiff

Soldato
For a straight road it has to be the B822 which goes out of Sterling and then becomes the A811.
For the twisty stuff after the road up the side of Loch Lomond it has to be the A83 as it drops down at the head of the Loch (Fyne?),the whole road just opens up before you and you can see all the way down to Invararay

Bat

Bat

Associate
Originally posted by EddScott
Theres a road in between Witney in Oxfordshire and Faringdon in Swindon (not sure what its called) that takes in Brize Norton, Bampton and Clanfield and I guess must be about 15 miles. Having had to do this stretch of road many times and at a fair pace to get to work on time, my trusty 205 1.6 could get me there in about 20 minutes or a bit less if returning home at 2am.

Once you know a B road very well with its bumps and ruts and you learn the best lines with a great handling car, driving to work can be a pleasure.

Know it well mate!:D

Soldato
Originally posted by volospian
A46 from Notts to Leicester for me, I drive it a lot and it's great for just driving on, no corners to speak of, not uber high speed, but a steady ton is usually achievable.

There's not much in the way of twisties that I use enough to enjoy:(

I drive that road a fair ammount (At uni in Loughborough, so only the first 10 or so miles after bingham roundabout I guess!)

Do you agree that the crawler lane on the hill as your heading southbound before the road becomes a dual carriagway is bloody dangerous?! It's so short, but as it ends just over the crest of the hill if you don't know the road there is no way of telling.

I;ve seen lorries try to overtake lorries there and have to slam on the brakes when they realise they can't make it!

The dual carriageway is concrete as well and so makes an annoying noise... reminds me of american roads!

Anyway... A fun road to drive with just enough straights to overtake on for me the the B1188 road from ruskington to Lincoln. Unfortunately there arent many good roads in this part... they are all in a bad state and need repairing!

Associate
Originally posted by Lopéz
A4069 Brynamman -> Llandovery.

Winding mountain roads, uphill and downhill stretches, no police, no cameras, little traffic, generally good surface.

Don't **** it up or you'll be looking for a new car....

My rents live in LLandovery and I learnt to drive on that road :), in my classy C-reg gold(semi-gold) polo gl :)

Back
Top Bottom