fedora vs ubuntu

Soldato
i'm looking to install linux again, everytime i do something happens and it doesn't stay installed for long.

i had fedora installed last time but everyone here keeps recommending ubuntu. what i want to know is why is fedora 3.3GB download and ubuntu only 700mb ?

MW

Associate
Mr-White said:
i'm looking to install linux again, everytime i do something happens and it doesn't stay installed for long.

i had fedora installed last time but everyone here keeps recommending ubuntu. what i want to know is why is fedora 3.3GB download and ubuntu only 700mb ?

MW

Fedora DVD has all software packages on DVD (as well as online). Ubuntu has some on CD (for Live CD usage and base install) and the rest download on request from the online repositiories. As an example Ubuntu is Gnome only on CD but Fedora has choice of KDE etc from DVD.

Soldato
Ubuntu has a DVD with all the packages on also.

Advanage wise, there isn't much difference if you've got a decent net connection as both distros can download software via yum and apt respectively.

Associate
I am a long time Linux user and have tried many distros over the years, been with Ubuntu since 6.06 LTS came out in June, don't intend to look anywhere else for the forseeable future as it ticks all my boxes.

Associate
Everybody has their favourite distribution but from my limited experience Ubuntu is good because of the large community (and the Automatix tool). I've found that Fedora/SUSE etc. seem to pre-req a little Linux knowledge.
Also Ubuntu is the Gnome desktop which I think is a little less intuitive for the majority (e.g. ex-Windows) users. So an option is to go for Kubuntu (a KDE desktop variant of Ubuntu) or one of the other user-friendly KDE distributions. I've found MEPIS (which uses the Ubuntu repositories now) or PCLinuxOS to be very good, especially for starting out.

CD version of Ubuntu is fine unless you need to install on many machines or ones not internet connected.

Soldato
OP
cd version it is then, saves me 2.5GB in downloads :)

next question, i want it as a dual boot with vista (beta version obviously), is this possible ? last time i tried a dual boot with XP and fedora, fedora wiped all the partitions off my drive :(

MW

Man of Honour
Soldato
Sure it's possible. Check to be sure that you don't accidentally partition away your Windows install and the Grub bootloader should take care of making an entry for all your installed OSes. It saw my XP and Vista installations automatically and it did a fine job.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Absolutely. Vista, like all Windows installations, will overwrite your MBR without asking. It will remove all provisions for booting non-Windows OSes. You could fix it later by booting a Linux LiveCD but to avoid the hassle install your Windowseseses first.

Associate
if the third partion is NTFS then linux will be able to read it. (you can write to NTFS not sure how reliable it is) best format to share it between both windows an linux would be FAT32.

cheers
deano

Associate
Fedora is a bleeding edge distro, its a dumping ground for RHEL. Also Fedora does things a bit diffrently to other distros, esp when it comes to x64. I stopped using Fedora after FC4, moved to Arch Linux.

"fedora wiped all the partitions off my drive "

Yeah when you installed it did you pick the "manually partition hard disk drive"? Or the Automatic option?

Also somehting that ****** me off about Fedora, it NEVER has put the proper grub entry for Windows.

I just plain dont like Ubuntu, there isnt much logic behind it.

Mr White said:
if i partition the drive up into 3 partitions will i be able to access the 3rd partition with both o/s' ? i'm sure i remember asking this the last time, was such a long time ago though.

MW

There are several third party tools that will let you mount an ext3 or Reiser partition on Windows. But FAT is the only universal file system.

Back
Top Bottom