PS3 - Fall of Man review at IGN

Soldato
Looks pretty good, they rate it highly too. Score 1 for the PS3.

Its a shame Gears of War just came out with 9.4.

And dont even talk to me about having the dev kits longer, thats a mute point considering Sony should have been on the ball with its development. People will compare the current games, not the games you are going to see in a year on PS3 with current gen 360 ones. It will be quite a significant factor that Microsoft do have a years development over Sony and if the rumours of coding for PS3 are true that development gap wont come down.

Last edited:
Soldato
At the risk or being shouted down as a Sony Hater, some of the textures in those images look as flat as pancakes! While I absolutely hate the over-use of bump mapping, there is no excuse in my opinion for a brick wall being a flat texture. Even the grass in some of the images is just a flat texture with some blades of grass dotted here and there.

Not convinced.

Still, I hope it plays well.

Soldato
OP
gord said:
Looks pretty good, they rate it highly too. Score 1 for the PS3.

Its a shame Gears of War just came out with 9.4.

Honestly, one review site makes not an oppion. Most sites give GoW higher (9.6 or 10) I dont know about this FOM though... it could be the same story there.

Associate
Not bad at all. Shame we wont be seeing the ps3 for a while. I was really looking forward to its release. Lets hope there's more great games to come.

Soldato
OP
Dirkscooby said:
Not bad at all. Shame we wont be seeing the ps3 for a while. I was really looking forward to its release. Lets hope there's more great games to come.

Since the 360 is out, that is keeping me entertained for a good while... the games I really want on the PS3 (MGS4 and FF) don't seem to be coming for a while even in Japan (I could be wrong on that) so I don't mind waiting... I doubt I would pay 400 and change for a console with only the games it has with it...

Associate
Dark_Angel said:
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/745/745206p1.html head there for anyone interested.

I am downloading the insiders video review... I must be honest I am still not sure when I will buy a PS3, still I am trying to be less biased and look at just 360 stuff ;)

Doesn't look too bad. Not quite a "killer" app, but certainly very good!

Problem with the game is simple, is highly highly derivative, to me and most on this board Resistance is nothing new and nothing special as has been commonly thrown around this is amazing for those that haven't played Half Life 2 or Halo or Wolfenstein, and to some extent Call of Duty.

1 up this week clearly stated that the only reason Resistance is getting the hype and coverage is because its the only hope the PS3 has of a decent launch title, and because in 10 years Sony has not developed a strong FPS IP. They also state that its nothing new at all and the only thing driving ps3 fanboys nuts is because they ahvent experienced a half life 2 or a halo on a playstation console.

To me looks a 8/10 at best and this is due to the fiction, the story sounds good and well developed from whats been said, Gears story is also good but told poorly.

The second generation argument does not hold water AT ALL. Simply for the fact that the Sony hardware was finalised and early dev kits were out around E3 2005 where many developers clearly stated the dev kits for the 360 and ps3 were at the same stage. Also 1st generation games should still look better than 2nd gen 360 if the console were really "a year" more advanced, simply look at Halo vs MGS2 or DOA3 vs Tekken 4. The reason why it doesn't is because the PS3 is still hardware based on tech that was supposed to be released in march 06, blueray put an end to that. Be absolutely certain the very very best 360 game will look better than the very very best ps3 game, to us anyway, the rest of the world wont be able to tell the difference.

They will both be great, but I'm sticking with my 360 until there are 10-20 must haves on the PS3. At which point provided its £200 or less i'll pick it up, five years from now then :(

Soldato
Caustic said:
So far so good, but I think it might be best to see a few more reviews first before we start to celebrate.

Celebrate what exactly? (Not ment as an attack or aggressive, an honest question :))

All I see is a launch title that's about as good as the 360's launch titles. I would have hoped for a bit more tbh.

Soldato
people underrate the 360 launch lineup (mainly people who didn't get one on launch). Personally i think cod2, kameo, pgr3 and condemned are still 4 of the best games available. Opinions differ on PDZ but i loved it, and amped 3 gets me hooked everytime I play it.

Suspended
The first few games on the 360 were poor PDZ and PGR 3 were poor after a year the games have got a lot better

Give the PS3 a break most of you moaners can't buy one, so you just moan.

Associate
I know its not a fair comparison, but it looks like a fairly average PC shooter to me. I'm sure with furthere development the games will get better.

Soldato
Sinister said:
Give the PS3 a break most of you moaners can't buy one, so you just moan.

Who was moaning exactly? I'm quite looking forward to getting mine thanks.

And I can't see how you can say PGR3 was poor after a year when I'm yet to see a racer that beats it's visuals.

I also happened to like PD0.

Back
Top Bottom