PS3 backwards compatability

Associate
Just spawned a new thread after checking out some of the pictures linked to in the 'inside ps3' thread...

The apparently leaked news that had been circulating for a few months was true - that software emulation wasn't achievable to emulate the PS2 and PS1 and that Sony have had to incorporate the PS2 chipset (Emotion Engine + Graphics) into the hardware design of the PS3 ... there's the link to the picture of the chip on the PS3 motherboard:

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2006/1111/ps3_37.jpg

Man of Honour
Well it is the best way of doing it, using the hardware anyway, as software emulation is a lot more difficult, and you wont always get the same results overall.

Associate
Sounds like a better way of doing it if it means better, or even 100% compatibility. It's the one area where the 360 has been a bit of a letdown for me, the emulation for the Xbox games has been pretty poor and I still have way to many games that won't run on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah they done the same with the PS2, included the hardware for the PS1 in it. Sony can do this as they pretty much own all the tech lock stock, but MS couldnt due to the fact nVidia where screwing them on the price.
There is talk though that they are still working on a software solution and when its ready, they will take out the Emotion Engine et Al

Soldato
backwards compatibility don't bother me, too many good games on the 360 to worry about playing old gen games, the only game that i have is Halo 2 and only got that cos it was cheap 2nd hand copy

Back
Top Bottom