Tesco "self-service"checkouts

Soldato
Now, while these are all well and good trying to make the service faster by cutting out queues, there's one serious problem with them.

I don't know if anyone here has used them by paying with a credit/debit card, but on the side of the monitor is where you swipe your card. I used this the other day and NO PIN code was required, NO signature, and NO member of staff supervising them. I could've walked off without paying for them, I could've used Joe Bloggs's credit card.. Get it sorted Tesco! It's ridiculous!

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
They are now bringing in chip and pin machines to all self service machines; our local tesco just got them.

Permabanned
Never mind that the bloody things never work.

They always say "place item on belt" or "please wait for assistance" - The item is on the flippin belt, and i dont need any bloody assistance, i gave up the other day when it said that and went to the normal person on checkout behind. I've not got them to work properly once, and know many who find them equally as useless.

At the end of the day they are probably well protected and probably have cameras pointing at each checkout, and I'd of thought they will claim back any money they have to refund due to customers using stolen cards.

It's the same at my local store too, so it isn't a fault with the till.

Associate
i use to work on them lol many many many people have complained in our local tesco... if you eva use them the best advice i can give it take it slow and don't try to rish it... it's a flow! :D

i hear all ss tills are getting chip and pin by end of november!

Soldato
This is the same as Tesco Pay at Pump things, but they actually have a keypad on the pump for fuel card users to enter their mileage, which is crazy. Why can't they program it to ask you for a PIN using the existing keypad?

Associate
I work at Tesco.

Most stores have the Chip & Pin facility however slightly older self service tills dont require a pin and all you do is swipe the card.

The company is currently in the position of replacing the old system in all stores. New systems do have Chip & Pin in place where you have to place the card into the slot and enter your Pin number before you are able to pay.

Soldato
I work at a Tesco branch (which doesnt have them [yet]) but I find them absolutely laughable. Most of the time they take far longer to process customers, than a conventional tandem express checkout.

Its quite funny to watch till trained staff use them though, as sad is it is, we can use them very quickly

Suspended
sounds like a good idea. do you have to weigh your own veg and put in the codes and stuff? (ill have 1kg of apples, oops i mean strawberries ;) )

Associate
Stupid thing is that if they have a camera watching each till and also people supervising customers to help them, how are tesco saving money as they're surely employing the same (if not more) amount of people that would be needed to run a regular till?!

At my local store theres always customers stuck having to be helped by a cs person. If you need to employ people to look after the tills anyway, why not just have them there on the till in the first place!

My local shop now only has one basket till - the rest have been replaced by these automated machines. It's quicker to go via the till as dumb people cant seem to figure out how to use the machines so take aaaages to get through them :mad:

Suppose you could buy bottles of whiskey and skim one for you and one for the basket :D

Associate
I love using them when I've got my tunes on. No human interaction is required, it's great!

I use the self serve as I find it generally quicker as most people seem to fear them. I also use my card on it for pretty much any purchase as it's quicker than cash. I'll probably change that when they get the keypads. Are they getting the touchscreen with stylus like Asda has for signing?

Associate
number41 said:
Stupid thing is that if they have a camera watching each till and also people supervising customers to help them, how are tesco saving money as they're surely employing the same (if not more) amount of people that would be needed to run a regular till?!

its about making the shopping experience quicker and easier for customers. not so much saving money. and electricity an hour is less than employing someone at each till. as for employing the same amount of people for the self service, thats not accurate, they have one person overseeing four or six checkouts.

Associate
I don't see why people have such a problem with them to be honest, as long as you don't try and rush things through they work fine

Back
Top Bottom