360 HD-DVD pictures/review

Soldato
I'm worried this drives gonna be like rocking horse poo when it comes out in a couple of weeks as all the online big boys have either stopped taking pre orders or are not guaranteeing first day delivery.

I spoke to one of the live help guys at gameplay a couple of weeks ago and he said that they were gonna be in really short supply and that they sold their initial allocation in one afternoon!

Could be another ebay profiteering Christmas special this one.

Man of Honour
muzzler said:
hi,
heres another question(quite a noob question to some i suspect!!).......
the hd dvd drive connects to the 360 via usb...ok got that. but, do i then have to change my tv cable( on component at the moment) to a vga? i thought i read on here that component doesnt give a true hd signal(only upscales) for hd movies unlike a vga?? :confused:
i wonder if you get a cable with the hd dvd drive?
cheers for any replies,
steve.
Unless you want 1080p, then component will be fine. I'm pretty certain it wont do any upscaling, as I think most movies are in 1080p to begin with, it'll have to downscale to 720p etc.

Soldato
I know upscaling if done right can make stuff look better than its original format, but what will downscaling do to the quality?? as my display is 720p so woul dneed to downscale if all hd-dvd's are in 1080p

Man of Honour
cokecan72 said:
I know upscaling if done right can make stuff look better than its original format, but what will downscaling do to the quality?? as my display is 720p so woul dneed to downscale if all hd-dvd's are in 1080p
I'd have thought it would look pretty good, as long as the drives are good. As remember, DVDs and a lot of TV shows are downscaled for SD-TVs.

Man of Honour
JUMPURS said:
We are now allowed to mention them?? no need for big river anymore?
It's never been the case of not being able to mention them in context with gaming, just you can't talk about the hardware side, or more specifically any type of stuff OcUK sell. People just assume it's not allowed usually.

Man of Honour
JUMPURS said:
Hmmmm i was always under the impression they where classed as a competitor.
Can i ask one question, at the risk of derailing the thread totally.
Why does that rule apply to Amazon and not the evil one?
Because the boss says so :p Think it's more down to pricing and numbers of hardware that directly compete with OcUK.

Soldato
DaveyD said:
Because the boss says so :p Think it's more down to pricing and numbers of hardware that directly compete with OcUK.

Yeah i personally think he had a bad experience buying from them so decided to ban it.
This is where it gets all funny with the competitors rule tbh as we can't get a clear ruling. Like i said i always thought Amazon was banned on here.
But anyway we wont totally ruin a thread about it :D

Soldato
I figured the US amazon probably weren't much of a direct competitor, and it's not like I was talking about their products or prices, just some user reviews. Plus OcUK don't sell 360 stuff.

It's a stupid rule anyway. If I say 'rainforest related site' or 'south american river site' everyone knows exactly what I'm on about :)

Soldato
Interesting link. Nice to see someone compare it to other HD-DVD players, and the fact that the 360's came out favorably is really nice. Seems like a good bet for those wanting an HD-DVD player.

Back
Top Bottom