Anyone going Snowboarding/Skiing at Xmas

Associate
NickK said:
Also did a week in Big White too :D
Fantastic snow - a 1.5 feet of powder each night and our chalet was ski in-out at the top of the resort (Timber Ridge on the Mogul track).
The resort is a bit HediHedi as it's all owned by the same company and the snowboarding shop (only one) sucks.
We only had the right side (the left side opened the week after and that had most of the blacks on :(). The blues to the left are perfect for out right speed (near the Bullet express).
The single diamond black "Dragon's Tongue" is hard work in deep powder and close visability as is it's technical to get around the rocks and drops.
However get to the top of the main express lifts (snow ghost and ridge rocket) and you will see the double diamond blacks... aptly named "The Parachute Bowl", "The Cliff", "Pegasus"..
Just don't think you can drive from Vancouver - it will take you 7.5 hours by car! 45 min drive to the nearest town that's decent.

Sound wicked, I can't wait. Its going to be my first full season skiing.

Man of Honour
BruceLee said:
The annoying thing with living in the UK is that there arent that many local places that have snow, Scotland seems OK but its actually faster to go to Europe and probs cheaper.

Scotland is awesome on the right day, it is just a shame that "that day" only tends to happen maybe once every couple of years. Although I love snowboarding in Scotland I probably wouldn't recommend it too much unless you already live in the upper half of the UK because conditions are so changable and snow is far from being guaranteed. If I had to drive for 5-6 hours to get to the slopes I could see myself being rather disappointed but given that the best(Glenshee) is only about an hour away it makes it worth the trip on the off-chance there might be enough snow.

As for it being expensive, it is and it isn't. Buying the kit initially is quite expensive normally and you do have to pay out about £20 per day for the liftpass but unless you are really careless with your equipment it will last ages, my bindings have lasted about 7-8 years so far(and a change of board), my board is about 4 years old and my trousers are probably 2-3 years old. Sure there is better kit available and almost certainly more fashionable stuff but it is what you do with it that counts because the basics stay unchanged. :)

Permabanned
I have been once with school a few years ago and it was great. Would love to go again but with mates. Just need some money. It isn't cheap but it is 1000% more fun than sitting on the beach which is where my parents have taken me all my life. (don't wish to be ungrateful, I relise some people never go on holiday).

Associate
Anyone been to Chamonix before? I'm going just after Christmas for my first skiing trip - not quite sure what to expect!

Associate
I think I've been there before bit I can't remember. It was that or Sestriare. From what I remember it was a nice place with a few good runs but as I say I could be wrong and I could be talking about a different place. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom