Building an NAS from an old machine?

Man of Honour
There's no real point in building a NAS unless the storage needs to be shared between multiple machines. If you're just after extra storage for a single machine then you'll get better performance simply by adding more or bigger disks to that machine.

Soldato
rpstewart said:
There's no real point in building a NAS unless the storage needs to be shared between multiple machines. If you're just after extra storage for a single machine then you'll get better performance simply by adding more or bigger disks to that machine.
As above - I need to network my files as any music I have is playable on any PC in the house and any work that needs to be shared is shared easily, hence my NAS. If it was just storage, then buying a large disk/external enclosure is more viable.

Man of Honour
debian linux, ssh for admin (get putty for windows side) and samba for the network sharing.

Otherwise you can use even windows 95 or 98 and put VNC on there for remote admin...

Associate
OP
Its mainly for managing a central backup of all the PC's and somewhere I can access all my project, work and other data from all the PC's in the house including wifi laptops.

Back
Top Bottom