Elton John suggests we ban organised religion

Suspended
It's a bit Dawkins 'God Dellusion' isn't it?

I should think problems would arise with definition of organised religion versus a shared spirtuality or belief system.

Also people link their religion to their value system. Until that link is broken (ie. Being non-religious doesn't make a person immoral) there will always be issues.

Permabanned
kitten_caboodle said:
I mean lets face it - if we removed organised religion as a cause, how many wars are we left with?

I used to think this too, but believe it or not after being lucky enough to see the newest south park episode it somewhat changed my feelings. Its not been shown in the uk yet so for anyone who hasnt seen it I'll explain a little.

*SOUTHPARK SPOILER*

"Mrs" Garrison forms a new cult-type thing with her new athiaist boyfriend, and they think the world would be better off without religion. Meanwhile Cartman gets frozen in time, and ends up 500 years in the future where it turns out they were successful in ending religious thinking. But now the main 3 athiaist groups are at war with each other.

Now I know this isn't an accurate depiction of the future, but it made me think. I always thought religion was to blame for a lot of war, but maybe it is just the excuse, and if it was removed we as human beings would still find an excuse to kill each other.

Soldato
Arcade Fire said:
The ones fought over land, resources, power, glory, personal vendetta etc... which is pretty much all of them.

Religion has often been used as the justification for a war, but has rarely been the sole cause.

Oh right ok, so the many Holy Wars that killed have killed millions over time aren't about religion then. Ok. my bad.

Religion has been used as an excuse by the many in power for raging war and terror against ordinary people. Without the umbrella excuse of organised religion in many cases it would have been a damn sight harder to do.

So really, it matters not if it's the cause or not. It's the justification that drags people into it and gives them a reason for doing it that they wouldn't have without it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I agree with him that organised religion is counter-productive and I think society would be better without it. But banning it will make things much, much worse. That would just cause civil unrest and violence. If it died out naturally, as in people just stopped following it, I think the world would be a better place. It wouldn't be a utopia of course, but I think there would be a few less problems.

Associate
Elton John also blames the Catholic church for the fact that 40 of his close friends died of aids. His reasoning, the Catholic church banned the use of condoms. I'm sure his friends really heeded this fact as they merrily banged each other.

Man of Honour
kitten_caboodle said:
Oh right ok, so the many Holy Wars that killed have killed millions over time aren't about religion then. Ok. my bad.

Religion has been used as an excuse by the many in power for raging war and terror against ordinary people. Without the umbrella excuse of organised religion in many cases it would have been a damn sight harder to do.

So really, it matters not if it's the cause or not. It's the justification that drags people into it and gives them a reason for doing it that they wouldn't have without it.

Nope, surprise surprise they where about conquering land.

Now that religion isn't powerful enough, the goverment know uses. Terrorist and WMD to go to war. Removing religion does nothing, it just means those in power need to think of a diffrent excuse.

Associate
Unfortunatly we can only see this from one side, you have no idea how many wars religion has prevented. religion is what gave mankind its inital laws and morals for all it may have been used as an excuse for mankind to kick the living heck out of each other it has allowed many large groups of people to live in peace with one another, religion after all helped form the first states of the world and what are these except for men (usually) living together in peace and order?

Associate
All in all i agree wholeheartedly with Elton on this one.

AcidHell2 said:
Nope, surprise surprise they where about conquering land.

Now that religion isn't powerful enough, the government know uses. Terrorist and WMD to go to war. Removing religion does nothing, it just means those in power need to think of a different excuse.

And of course the fact Bush is a holy Christian warrior coupled with the serious power the Jewish lobby contours (Israel?) has no bearing on those things what so ever :rolleyes:

lucifersam said:
Unfortunatly we can only see this from one side, you have no idea how many wars religion has prevented. religion is what gave mankind its inital laws and morals for all it may have been used as an excuse for mankind to kick the living heck out of each other it has allowed many large groups of people to live in peace with one another, religion after all helped form the first states of the world and what are these except for men (usually) living together in peace and order?

Or maybe caveman 1 realised if he went around killing all the other little cavemen he wouldnt have any friends left. Religion did not create morality, since differing religions have differing moralities. Your view is entirely biased towards the western Christian view. Morality is born out of a social need to function. Religion provides a method to enforce one mans views onto another

tenchi-fan said:
I think Hitler had a similar idea.

Hitler was a christian.

tenchi-fan said:
Elton John also blames the Catholic church for the fact that 40 of his close friends died of aids. His reasoning, the Catholic church banned the use of condoms. I'm sure his friends really heeded this fact as they merrily banged each other.

That is of course assuming all 40 were male and gay, since we know only gays get aids :rolleyes: If you want a real argument, catholosism teaches abstinence so in effect you wouldn't get aids unless you were really unlucky with the partner you marry! This is a fine example of the Catholic church not getting with the times. Also, what about those people who werent religious, had lots of sex then converted to catholosism.

Suspended
kitten_caboodle said:
Well, yes. That's exactly what I'm saying, and merely repeating it in an incredulous tone of voice doesn't really help your argument.

Which wars in particular do you think were solely or mainly caused by religion?

Permabanned
cleanbluesky said:

Yes we should ban organised religion once we ban homo-gays.

ElRazur said:
My excuse? None but the reality of things - Christain religion if practised properly is anti Homogay (soddom and gommarrah?) while Islam wont tolerate their existence. :)

Ah this man speaketh the truth :)

Its the US who are mainly anti gay compared to the UK, the line is hate the sin love the sinner, though I am not loving Elton...that be gay, you know?

Man of Honour
*adds Elton John to the list along with Richard Dawkins, Abu Hamza and Fred Phelps*

Why do people think that forcing their own faith onto others will make things better? Seriously?

It doesn't matter what belief you want to force people to hold, it's still an intolerant, fundamentalist faith based position based on your own personal views.

Soldato
tenchi-fan said:
I think Hitler had a similar idea.
Hitler had a lot of good ideas. He had some damn strange ones too, and he went about them completely the wrong way.

It doesn't matter what belief you want to force people to hold, it's still an intolerant, fundamentalist faith based position based on your own personal views.
Agreed. As I said, I believe that organised religion is counter-productive, but forcing it to stop would be 10 times worse.

Back
Top Bottom