Looking for a cheap amp (used)

Permabanned
You may or more likely may not recall my recent thread about the free speakers I got.

I now need an amplifier to power the (currently useless) things :p

I don't want to spend fortunes (being a poor student) and £80 for a Cambridge A1 at my local Hi-Fi place is the cheapest I can find new, so i'm obviously going to have to look around and second hand equipment.

I have two questions... where and what?

I can't see much on the bay that doesn't either require pick up or has a delivery cost of £25+ yet I really can't think where else to look, the second hand shops round here seem to have a total lack of amps.

Next up, is what would people recommend far say £30-£40 second hand prices?

Cheers for any advice

Also, the first person to say 'Don't bother unless you spend £800 on everything or it will sound rubbish' gets a nice place on my ignore list for being an unhelpful tool :p

Suspended
A certain high street store has stereo integrated amps for a decent price, Acoustic Solutions. Dad has one, haven't compared sound quality but it hasen't caught fire.

edit they sell for £60.

Last edited:

Ste

Ste

Soldato
It's definately gonna be e-bay for that money.

You can't really afford to be fussy for 30-40quid mate so just look for something thats within pick up distance and go for it. You might be able to get a reasonable budget sony/kenwood type thing or maybe even a second hand low-end cambridge audio job.

Soldato
If you can get one, try and pick up one of the older Sony TA-FE stereo amps.

I used to have the TA-FE 230 and it was a corker. I paid £80 a few years ago, but you could probably get them for peanuts now.

Loads better than the Cambridge Audio too.

Permabanned
OP
Rambaud said:
Have you considered a Sonic T-Amp?

I have been using one for about 6 months - it's connected to my PC via an external DAC + soundcard.

Excellent value for the money.

I know what you're talking about, have been trying to remember what the hell it was called for the last hour or so :p

I'm looking at these now, I'll keep an eye for those Sony's too agw

Suspended
You need a PSU for the Sonic T-amplifier. One member here bought one thought it was utter poo, so make of that as you will.

Look for a second hand Rotel or NAD amp.

Soldato
I'm starting to get fed up with my Sonic T, it's just too bright, so I wouldn't recommend one of those I don't think. Plus it's £50 once you figure in price of a PSU.

Would be nice if there was some other small (small enough to sit on a PC desk) cheap amp with equally low power consumption to replace it with.

Associate
squiffy said:
You need a PSU for the Sonic T-amplifier. One member here bought one thought it was utter poo, so make of that as you will.

Look for a second hand Rotel or NAD amp.

Yes, a PSU is needed - mine cost around £20.00, although it will work with cheaper ones.

I am using some Mission bookshelf speakers, and the sound is fine - for music, I don't know about games. Also, the DAC and souncard cost nearly £250 so they are helping too.

I suspect that the other guy's example may be faulty or may need more burning in time. I leave mine powered on constantly.

Associate
fish99 said:
I'm starting to get fed up with my Sonic T, it's just too bright, so I wouldn't recommend one of those I don't think. Plus it's £50 once you figure in price of a PSU.

Would be nice if there was some other small (small enough to sit on a PC desk) cheap amp with equally low power consumption to replace it with.

I've read that its best at low volumes and if its cranked to far, it tends to sound too bright and a better PSU helps a bit.

Associate
Sparky191 said:
I've read that its best at low volumes and if its cranked to far, it tends to sound too bright and a better PSU helps a bit.

It will also depend on the sensitivity of the speakers.

With my Mission 73, it gets plenty loud enough by 9.00 o'clock on the Volume control.

Beefier PSU is also meant to help the bass.

Associate
My old Arcam Delta 290 (bought 2nd hand a few months back) died recently. (Was left on now doesn't come on) I was wondering to get a basic Sony amp like a Sony TA-FE370 or a Super T Sonic. Dunno where to get the latter delivered in the EU. Or is the Arcam worth getting fixed, though I dunno where I'd get that done either. I'm on Ireland not UK. With a new Sony amp I'd get a warranty, more inputs, I would have a CD & Tape decks. I also put my MP3/HiMD through it too. Used with some old mission bookshelf speakers.

Last edited:

daz

daz

Soldato
Go for something from the late 70's/early 80's. All the Japanese/far east manufacturers are worth looking at... they're built like tanks. Just look for a heavy power supply, it will mean it's good. :p

Should easily get something for £20.

Soldato
I've got an old Sherwood Reciever thats been relegated to my old folks but it still sounds pretty decent with a pair of Wharfedale 7.2's it cost £150 nearly 10 years ago and looking today I've seen some very similar stuff going for 10-20 quid on the bay. Might not be top of the range but neither are those speakers you picked up I reckon this would make a pretty nice super budget system! Also seen matching CD players in the same price bracket if you want to expand.

Soldato
squiffy said:
A certain high street store has stereo integrated amps for a decent price, Acoustic Solutions. Dad has one, haven't compared sound quality but it hasen't caught fire.

edit they sell for £60.

I bought one of those after my Onkyo packed up but it went back after a week as the sound was just horrible. Managed to get another Onkyo at auction and it's lovely.

Back
Top Bottom