MS TechNet Plus

Associate
Hi

I was just wondering if anyone subscribed (or knew anyone that subscribed) to Microsoft's TechNet Plus?

If so, what do you think of it or what have you been told and what software is available?

I have looked at the MS website but can't make my mind up.

Thanks

Phil

Associate
It's £335 ex vat, so if you are employed by a kindly employer the VAT is deducted before payment.

You get a whole bunch of evaluation software and the right to install on up to 10 pc's not used in the line of business.

So if you need to install Office 2003 and XP Pro on more than one pc and you are not entitled to educational discounts then you are ahead of the game.

We have four, going on five pc's in the house. You do the math.

Not to mention server operating systems, Vista when it's released, monthly updates etc.

Seems like a bargain, really... :confused:

Associate
OP
There is another version of the subscription for only £275. This is called TechNet Plus Direct - this gives you all the benefits of the more expensive subscriptions except you have to download everything, you receive no monthly CD's.

Think I'll be placing my order later today.

Thanks for your replies.

Permabanned
polomint said:
You get a whole bunch of evaluation software and the right to install on up to 10 pc's not used in the line of business.

(just checking...)
what..., so I can have ten permanent legal copies of XP and Office 2003 on 10 of my home PC's ?

instead of say, buying 10 licences from a retailer ?

what's the catch ? :confused:

Associate
OP
Bitslice, there is no catch. The software is intended to be used in a non-production environment, i.e. for the testing of networks and servers etc.

ALC, I believe it is against MS terms and conditions to allow more than one person to use the software that comes with the subscription. Although you can install a piece of software upto ten times on your own machines.

Permabanned
RLBUHT said:
Bitslice, there is no catch. The software is intended to be used in a non-production environment

<cough> ...our whole office is a "non-production environment" :D

umm, would PC's assigned to "training" come under that title too ?

Anyway, thanks for the info :cool:
This might be a good option for me when Vista is released, as I was wondering how I was going to afford multiple OS upgrades.

It looks like it costs £230 if the company stumps up for it.
(ah well, I can dream...)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Bitslice, I've read the terms and conditions of TechNet and you would probably be better off with the MS Actionpack.

TechNet allows you to install the software on upto ten PC's, but only one user is licenced to use the software.

Whereas the Partner Actionpack gives you ten licences for Office and XP (prob Vista when it comes out too) and I believe anyone can use these as long as theyre not in a production environment.

Phil

P.S. Oh, and the Actionpack is cheaper.

Permabanned
umm, I'm not sure how I'm going to separate the two.
Our training setup is essentialy a bunch of PC's set aside just for playing with;
but really they are connected to the same systems that the office PC's are connected to....

MS really need to do a "friends and family" option :D

The Partner Actionpack seems to involve signing up for something ? but "MS licensing speak" has now destroyed half of my remaining braincells. I urgently need to lie down and grow some more. Will read it again later.

Associate
eh?? Surely this can't be right... In theory therefore I could sign up to this, pay my subscription and stick XP/Office 2003 on up to ten machines, no catch?

Seems a no-brainer, which is why it sounds far too good to be true!!!!

Associate
OP
Echo,

To enrol as a Microsoft Partner is free of charge. I have a small sole-trading company and have been a MS partner for over a year and have never paid anything for the membership.

Associate
Just another question about this - when I was an MSDN subscriber yonks ago, you got different serials for each product available. So for example, you got one key for XP Home and another key for XP Professional, which was kind of like 20 licenses for XP.

Does anyone know if Microsoft are going to do the same for Vista? So you have one key for 10 installs of Home Basic, another key for 10 installs of Home Premium, etc etc.?

Associate
OP
I contacted the TechNet Plus helpline based in Ireland and even they haven't been informed when the full version will be released via the TechNet subscription.

Vai

Vai

Soldato
Echo toxin said:
*bump*

Is Vista RTM going to be available to Technet Plus users anytime soon now that it's gone gold?

Vista is supposed to be available to Technet and MSDN subscribers by next Wednesday.

Associate
Luvly jubbly. If I can persuade my Dad to go halves with me on the subscription, we'll get the Technet Plus for £140 notes each. A bargain on Vista and Office 2007 at that price.

Back
Top Bottom