PS2 or Xbox to buy now

sid

sid

Soldato
Hey guys,

i am thinking of getting either one of them, I am not sure which one though, which one is likely to have games made for it for longer? I am thinking Xbox because, it has 5.1 optical out for sound ( to my AV amp) and It might look better on my 37" HDTV. Please dont suggest x360 as its too expensive for occasional fun gaming. I have a pc for anything hardcore.

sid

Associate
I would go for the Xbox it has some really good games has a lot more grunt then the PS2 and it sooooooo cheap right now
You can pick up most games from £3-£20 add to that xbox live and you got a winner

Dont get me wrong the PS2 has some great titles as well but for me the xbox is the better buy

I have both consoles dont use either but thats because i have a 360 but i do play some of my old xbox games still on the 360

Actually its the PS2 that has the inbuilt optical out. The xbox needs an advanced cable for this. (Scart or component)

TBH I would go with the gamecube. it has plenty of really good pick up and play games that are fun and great when you have friends round.It doesn't do 5.1 (does prologic 2 though)

Heck if you have the dosh go for a Wii.

Permabanned
sid said:
which one is likely to have games made for it for longer?
Do you mean new games? Both consoles are right at the end of their lives now so don't count on very many new games on either of them.

As for which one would be best to get, it really depends which one has the games you want to play :) They are both great consoles with great games.

Soldato
Kronologic said:
TBH I would go with the gamecube. it has plenty of really good pick up and play games that are fun and great when you have friends round.It doesn't do 5.1 (does prologic 2 though)

^^ Agreed, but I guess it depends on what type of games you like.

I had an xbox for a while and while I was impressed with the sound + visuals compared to the PS2, I found the available games a bit boring (never did get the whole appeal of Halo? :confused: ) so sold it on for a nice profit and kept my PS2 as I was more in to MGS etc.

On a purely technical level the XBOX has the superior sound + graphics, the PS2 + GC can only do Pro Logic II/Stereo whereas the XBOX has full on 5.1.

Associate
I would definately go for a cube over either of the other 2 (i've got all 3). If you play pc games, the xbox won't satisfy you once you've played ninja gaiden. A ps2 has some great games, but it is really showing it's age now and so are they. The cube on the otherhand has some absolutely stunning games that will keep you engrossed for literally weeks. In my humble (and obviously it's subjective) opinion, the cube has half a dozen of the best games on any system, in fact of all time. From a technical standpoint the xbox is the most powerful but is very generic, but the cube looks much nicer than either consoles in its AAA titles. Hope this helps. :)

Nickg said:
heh if yu want shadow of the colossus, GT4, Final Fantasy 12 etc then ps2 is the way forward

if you want mario/zelda then get a 'cube

if you want something for tiger, bit of fifa, PGR etc get an xbox,

thats about all there is to it really!

Gamecube is way more than Mario/zelda. There is Mario Kart (ok I know its mario) Super monkey ball, super smash brothers melee, Eternal Darkness (brilliant game) Res Evil 4 (the best version of the game) and loads of other fun zany games.

I will say it again. If you have no intention of spending vast amounts of time playing games. The Game cube is by far the best option. I had all 3 consoles and for quick pick up and play with your mates. The Cube is unsurpassable.

sid

sid

Soldato
OP
Well cubes are going cheap as chips really so i might that anyways,

So xbox is gonna be more expensive looks like especially with the extra cables.

So the PS2 can't do 5.1 over its optical out? seems abit pointless then?

Sid

Caporegime
I might suprise a lot of people here.

Go for the Playstation 2, purely because it has God of War, which for me was the best title of 2005 on any format, and probably the best game of the last generation (bar maybe Halo - available on PC).

I believe Xbox has the better back catalogue, but I rate God of War so highly that I have to recommend the Playstation 2.

It also has Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Gran Turismo 4, Ico, Shadow of the Collosus, Timesplitters 2 and Wipeout Fusion all of which I loved.

Associate
Also would suggest PS2. With GoW2 and Okami coming out early next year, it will have an extended lease of life. And the titles listed above, bar MGS3 for me :p, are games you really should play. Shadow of the Colossus and Ico especially.

Back
Top Bottom