COD3 on PS3 limited to 720p?

Associate
I've been reading gamespot's PS3 COD3 review which says...

"Call of Duty 3's visuals are great, though a problematic frame rate leaves the game looking decidedly less impressive than it does on the Xbox 360. The game, of course, looks best in high definition (the maximum resolution is 720p), but it still looks nice when viewed on a standard television display"

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/action/callofduty3/review.html?page=2

That can't be right surely? I thought PS3 was supposed to give us games at 1080p?

Can anyone confirm this?

Soldato
masterluke said:
that is pretty tragic.. the 360 can do COD3 smoothly at 1080i and the PS3 sounds like it is struggling to output it at 720p.

It can? I always thought 360 games were rendered internally at 720p and then upscaled?

How long have PS3 devs had their final dev kits compared to the 360 ones? It's also apparently harder to code games for the PS3 (as with the PS2) so it's probably going to be a while before we start seeing some really good looking PS3 games with no issues.

Caporegime
Framerate could also be due to the fact that the gpu in the ps3 is pretty basic compared to the unified pipeline gpu in the 360. Could just be some scenes require more texture or pixel power, the 360 can switch between what each scene needs and the ps3 can't? :confused:

Soldato
masterluke said:
that is pretty tragic.. the 360 can do COD3 smoothly at 1080i and the PS3 sounds like it is struggling to output it at 720p.

The 360 is rendering at 720p and then upscaling to 1080i, not rendering at 1080i.

Although as Krono has pointed out, apparantly COD3 is actually being rendered at 1040x620 (instead of 1280x720) and then upscaled to 720p.

PGR3 done a similar trick and due to the upscaling, jaggies were very pronounced. Not noticeable in COD3 as the developers used tricks like depth of field and motion blur.

Permabanned
Gerard said:
Framerate could also be due to the fact that the gpu in the ps3 is pretty basic compared to the unified pipeline gpu in the 360. Could just be some scenes require more texture or pixel power, the 360 can switch between what each scene needs and the ps3 can't? :confused:
How 'advanced' does a GPU need to be, to run a game at 1280x720? PC games have run at a good framerate at 1024x768 and above for many years now, since Geforce2 days if not earlier. There is no excuse these days.

Soldato
dirtydog said:
How 'advanced' does a GPU need to be, to run a game at 1280x720? PC games have run at a good framerate at 1024x768 and above for many years now, since Geforce2 days if not earlier. There is no excuse these days.

I'd love to see a GeForce 2 attempt GoW visuals with the Unreal 3 engine. ;)

dirtydog said:

Oh here we go.

Is it not possible that these consoles are displaying far more than the PC games of yester-year? If that was the case more computing power would be required, surely.

Permabanned
Kronologic said:
Oh here we go.

Is it not possible that these consoles are displaying far more than the PC games of yester-year? If that was the case more computing power would be required, surely.
Geforce2 ran Geforce2-ERA games at 'HD' resolutions.

Why can today's console GPU's not run today's ERA games at HD resolutions please?

It is all relative.

Oh and not to mention that Geforce2-era computers had Pentium IIIs or whatever. Today's consoles are more powerful in all respects so they should run the more detailed games with better effects etc. at the same res and speed.

Back
Top Bottom