New to photography - What do you think?

Soldato
Last week I got fed up with every picture I took being really blurry (even with a short exposure, I don't have steady hands) so I bought a tripod from a local shop. Only a cheap little £10 one, but ideal for what I want.

Been taking a few photos through the week, sadly let down by the fact there aren't many interesting places to take photos in Stafford (please let me know if anyone knows of anywhere good, I'm new around here)

Here are few I took out of my window, and one macro shot I took on my desk:

birds1.jpg

firework_1.jpg

red_sunset.jpg

coinstack.jpg

My thoughts are the camera is a real let down at the distance I was shooting for the shots out of my window.
The birds was a quick snapshot, as I liked where the birds were sat, what do others think of the positioning of that shot?

The firework was right on the horizon just before fireworks night, had to use the full 4 second exposure to capture the brightness, but I like it nonetheless. Although its fairly pitiful to some of the other firework pics I have seen whilst browsing around here. (I'll be back at New Year, tripod at the ready)

Sadly I didn't noticed the sunset early enough and had to capture it at an angle out of my window, it looked much better in real life, really wish my camera had a better zoom on it (4x optical) Plus I took it the day before I got the tripod (it was this shot that persuaded me to buy one!) Even at this res its blurry :( I really didn't do the sky justice here.

Finally my favourite shot here, I positioned the coins like that as I thought it would be an interesting effect, and I think it came out nicely. I got the inspiration for that shot from some other forums.
I've come to the conclusion that the macro lense is far better than the zoom lense in terms of quality, even at full 5MP resolution it is nice and crisp.

Camera is a Pentax Optio SV which I got from the Members Market a few months ago.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, be it positive or negative!
There is a part of me that wants a nicer camera to play with, but if there is hope of still being able to take some nice shots with this one I'll wait until I know what I am doing more.

Cheers.

Associate
Yes the first three do look rather blurry. the last one seems nice and sharp tho.

Those all look like they were taken in low light. How is the camera in broad daylight outside on a wide angle setting?

Soldato
OP
Mohain said:
Those all look like they were taken in low light. How is the camera in broad daylight outside on a wide angle setting?
The birds were shot just as the sun was settings, so it was quite dim here, I adjusted the levels in photoshop and smoothed out the jpeg, so its a lot clearer than the original photo was! - that tree is around 20metres away.

I'm half tempted by getting a nice camera for Xmas. But its a tie between that and getting a bass guitar and learning to play. Although looking at the 350d/400d they are both way out of my realistic price range :eek:

Thanks for the feedback :)

Associate
look around, second hand 350d's are available rather cheap. In general they are usually well looked after as well

Puz

Puz

Associate
PinkFloyd said:
Been taking a few photos through the week, sadly let down by the fact there aren't many interesting places to take photos in Stafford (please let me know if anyone knows of anywhere good, I'm new around here)

I went to Uni in Stafford many many years ago and I took loads of photos
with my old Practika BX20 slr ;)

The parks in Stafford are a bit dull, but the Norman castle near Highfields
is certainly worth time over. It's perfectly sited for sunset pictures.

Back
Top Bottom