Help please, 2407WFP A02 ghosting in games - no service tag can be found

Associate
I have recently purchased a Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP rev A02 from sterlingXS who said that the monitor was new and could be either a return or overstock not a refubished one.

I have linked the Xbox 360 up to it with the VGA cable fine and havent noticed anything wrong during games.

I have recently played Battlefield 2142 and on some maps to my horror I noticed ghosting when turning. These maps are ones with lots of fog on, Berlin and especially Belgrade when looking up at the large sky scrapers.

I managed to take a screenshot and although it doesnt show the ghosting as light green around the building you can just make it out on the one to the left. It is very noticable in game though.

When I get Dells support find service tag page up it doesnt find it, it just shows a . instead. I also cant seem to work out where it is on the back, it says its a 6 digit but I only have a massive one near a bar label.

Does anyone use BF2142? Is this a problem with this monitor? I read a lot before hand and everyone seemed to say there was no ghosting with this.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Sorry, but a 1/60 exposure proves nothing. to provide any evidence of it you would need a much quicker exposure.

Try contacting whoever you brought it from if you think the product is defective.

Soldato
Yep if you didn't buy from Dell you won't have a service tag and your warranty, while technically still with Dell, will be provided through your retailer, so you need to speak to them.

As for the fault, hopefully other 2407 owners can tell you whether what you're seeing is normal.

Associate
OP
I know a 1/60 expose doesnt prove anything, I just wanted something to show rather than nothing.

How can mine cause this and yours not? Is there anything I should try changing in the settings? is there any sort of firmware I can apply?

Are yours Rev A02 as well?

Man, I am confused as to why this is happening, if its ok on other models the same.

How will I be able to get a refund or a replacement with this fault? What are my rights when it comes to ghosting? Any ideas on what I should say to the retailer?

Associate
OP
jdickerson said:
Mine are both Rev 2's.

I have no idea why it doesn't do it. I've only checked in a handful of games, but will look at 2142 tonight.

Thank you, I appreciate it. If I didnt purchase it from Dell will they do a replacement? I have heard Rev03 is available (I see it on overclockers)

Or should I get a refund and go for the BenQ?

Associate
I think if your graphics card isn't powerful enough to drive the game at such a high resolution you get what looks like ghosting. I have a 6800GT and a Dell 2007 and running some games at native res has ghosting, but if I decrease the resolution the ghosting goes away. It's like the card is struggling to keep up.

Associate
this post has sort of put my off buying a dell 2407 now :rolleyes:

hope your problem can be fixed soon i sort of know how you fell, I had my self a 2405 for a few months and sold it because it was crap for gaming. Then a month later I got my self another one (couldn't resist its looks and desktop performance) then again I sold it. I'm hoping the dell 2407 will be 3rd time lucky for me and a wide screen monitor

Associate
elite said:
this post has sort of put my off buying a dell 2407 now

It is an excellent screen, there are lots of very happy users of it for gaming and all other media but you'll have faults with all screens (there is already one forum user with a dead DVI port on his BenQ, but again that is still an awesome screen).

Just persue a replacement or a refund IMO, if the BenQ wasn't on the way and now finally released I'd have bought a 2407 months ago after having used one for a good 20+ hours for stuff like BF2, CS:S, WoW and EQ2 and never experiencing a single problem @ native resolution (it was an AO2 also btw).

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies.

If anyone can tell me running BF2142 at the highest res with the startup altered to +widescreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050 gets ghosting in belgrade, I would appreciate it.

I have 2 options.

One would be to pursue a replacement A03 from Dell, but this doesnt guarantee me dead pixels this time as the company I purchased it from tested it for me.

or two, would be to get refund and buy the A03 at 499 and ask the seller to test the monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
yep :)
redeye said:
Thought we got this all sorted on the last thread on this subject??? This thread is liable to get deleted like the last one but hey ho.

The warranty is with Dell but the chap you bought it from runs a company, thus you bought it from a retailer, same as buying it from OcUK. If it goes wrong you contact him and he contacts Dell (the correct way of a retailer dealing with a warranty). If his business stops you contact Dell direct.

To quote the Dell monitors forum admin for the second time...

" If the monitor was purchased by itself on a Order Number
- 3 year warranty based off of the PPID number

If the monitor was purchased with a PC on the PC Service Tag Number
- 3 year warranty based off of the PPID number or the longer PC warranty

If the monitor was purchased from a reseller (Ebay, CostCo, etc.) with no Order Number or PC Service Tag Number
- 3 year warranty based off of the PPID number

How do you ascertain the PPID information? You don't. You give the PPID number to the Technical Support representative and they will look it up. Once we ascertain that the monitor does have warranty coverage, the Technical Support representative will setup the exchange based on either the:
- Order Number
- PC Service Tag Number
- no Order Number or PC Service Tag Number (we will use a Generic Service Tag number to transfer your Name, Address, Phone, Email, Monitor PPID into the Dell system and setup the exchange)"

You don't need a service tag for warranty service and you don't need to transfer the warranty to yourself.
just ordered myself one :D <--- happy bunny!

Soldato
all thinking about ordering one.. DO IT!!

newdesks.JPG

Associate
AWBbox said:
yep :)

just ordered myself one :D <--- happy bunny!

Are you able to say where you ordered from?

There has been some suggestion of a zero pixel guarantee with these a few times, but my Dell account manager says it's not guaranteed.

Associate
i'm not sure to what extent i can bay....i mean say where I got it from, if it has dead pixels then I'll have the guy told i guess :o

there's a clue above, can u see it? ^_^

Back
Top Bottom