Work or jobseekers....

Associate
dark_shadow said:
Wow, I spend 16 hours working (aswell as uni) for a little over that and people that I know, get it sitting on their arse all day for doing crap all!

I don't understand how it works, could someone please elaborate on it for me? I see it as this . . they pay you to sit on your arse whilst you 'look' for a job?
they give you money so you can support yourself while actively* looking for a job, if you had no income you would be on the street in no time.

a lot of people seem to abuse this benefit :(

*actively means, you need to provide at least 3 pieces of evidence that you are looking for a job each week. 2 easy ones are looking in the local newspaper and looking on the internet or job search machine, then the 3rd is actually phoning or sending a letter to companies you want to work for.

i cant see how people can live on it, if you are doing it properly you should have a job within a week or 2, even if it is just litterpicking around mcdonalds, if you're in a situation to really need JSA, then anything will do you, its not like you have to stay in that job forever.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
dmpoole said:
Look at the time (6:40 am) and I'm just off to work again to keep all the scum in their comfy beds.

Aw poor lad. If I weren't off injured, I'd be leaving the house at 6am, and getting home at around 8pm. Seventy hours per week inc. travel.

It's the choice we make though, and in various ways we're better off for doing so. You can live with yourself, and I'm getting much more wonga than I ever did before.

I think you should go travelling in some hippy gear for a few weeks. See the orient, go on safari, and slash on the pyramids. :)

Associate
... or you could be a GOOD influence on your children!

Seriously, you're better off with a job. Even if the money isn't great, opportunities might arise that you'd miss if you sat at home in your tracksuit watching Sky Sports. My first job was for €12,000 (not even minimum wage) compared to €6,500 which I would have "earned" on the dole and that was for a 37.5 hour week with no sick pay. OK I was living at home but literally couldn't afford to move out.

You're making a good point though, there are so many scroungers on the dole and the government actually makes them better off if they stay on the dole. I'd have those people literally queuing up for bread every morning if they wanted something to eat, and I'd only pay them money if they showed receipts of exactly what they were spending the money on. Items such as designer clothing, cigarettes, alcohol, makeup, disposable nappies, sky digital, phone bills, gifts and anything but the cheapest essential products would be disallowed.

Soldato
JSA is the pits - they treat you like dirt and its not enough to live on! Ive not read rest of thread - go look for a better payed job and stop moaning! Least you have a job!

Back
Top Bottom