So Where Did Frodo Go?

Man of Honour
Bumhucker said:
icon14.gif

Aod

Aod

Soldato
Amp34 said:
It seems to be attached at the top. Why were the elves so desperate to get the "last" boat if they could just walk around?

Actually why were the elves so desperate to get to the undying lands anyway?
that "bit" at the top is called the Helcaraxé (or something) which translates into "the Grinding ice". the last time a crossing of it was attempted, about 70% of the attemptees died.

that was about 8000 years (give or take 2k) before the "war of the ring" and in those thousands of years, the gods moved the two continents apart so that such a crossing became impossible, but Tolkiens notes are not perfect, and i don't really know more than that.

<edit>
smeg, this is what happens when you start typing a response to a post three hours after the post was made...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Bernard said:
Sauron corrupted the Numenorean(?) King, which led to the Numenoreans worshipping evil, and sacrificing humans. They eventually set out with a massive fleet to wage war on the Valar/Maiar and the High Elves.

As soon as they set foot on the Undying Lands, Manwe caused the Pelori Mountains to fall on top of the invading army killing them all, at the same time the Volcano on Numenor erupted, destroying the Island which sank beneath the sea.

This is when the undying land were set apart and as said only the ships of the elves could reach it.

Some faithful Numenoreans left before the disaster, and founded Gondor and Arnor(which later was destroyed), Aragorn was a descendant of these men.

Eventually after Aragorns death, Legolas and Gimli both went to the Undying lands as well.

I think I half got that, only read LOTR and saw the movie.

Permabanned
Yes, I agree that the some of the songs etc. are a little tedious and don't add a whole lot to the story, but you have to admire the attention to detail. You have to read the books in large-ish chunks if you can as then you are completely engrossed in the story and you start to believe that dragons and elves really could have walked the earth.

Soldato
riteo,

I was keen before to read them, but now I MUST.

is there like, a set order I should read all these books in (and im not just on about the LOTR trilogy set)

Appreciate some guidance please.

also appreciate knowing if there is a prefered publisher, or one that does the whole works or somesuch

Man of Honour
Conanius said:
riteo,

I was keen before to read them, but now I MUST.

is there like, a set order I should read all these books in (and im not just on about the LOTR trilogy set)

Appreciate some guidance please.

also appreciate knowing if there is a prefered publisher, or one that does the whole works or somesuch

Personally if starting afresh with no foreknowledge I'd read the Hobbit, then LOTR then the Unfinished Tales and use the Silmarillion as a resource but not read it as if it were a book. You don't really gain anything from it.

I have a very nice Harper Collins Millennium Edition of LOTR, 7 books in total (the ring sets out, the ring goes south, the treason of Isengard, the ring goes east, the war of the ring, the end of the third age and appendices). I'd recommend something similar, I bought that after waiting a while as our Reader's Digest original print was a little worse for wear. Lost count of the amount of times I read that :)

Man of Honour
Sparky191 said:
..and after all that, to cheer yourself up theres some light reading in The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
I just happen to be finishing the first book of the third chronicles.

Do we have release dates for the others yet?

Associate
How can they make a film of the hobbit, its a childrens story in comparison to lord of the rings (i loved it when i read it and still do) but its almost a completely differnt world compared. magic is used far more often in the hobbit and for often trivial purposes, such as the incident with the trolls when bilbo picks the trolls pockets only to find that the troll has a talking wallet :S. The evles are completly contrasting creatures in the hobbit compare to lord of the rings a film just couldnt be a made that is consistent with the lord of the rings universe without seriously comprimising the story of the hobbit.

Associate
sendos said:
How can they make a film of the hobbit, its a children's story in comparison to lord of the rings (i loved it when i read it and still do) but its almost a completely different world compared. magic is used far more often in the hobbit and for often trivial purposes, such as the incident with the trolls when bilbo picks the trolls pockets only to find that the troll has a talking wallet :S. The elves are completely contrasting creatures in the hobbit compare to lord of the rings a film just couldn't be a made that is consistent with the lord of the rings universe without seriously compromising the story of the hobbit.

Well whatever it turns out to be, it's going to be very expensive and very good ;)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I've always wanted to read the LOTR but fear the length.

If one was to read on average 2-4 hours a night how long would you say it'd take to complete a book?

I'm a great fan of the films, but I seek the depth I know was lost in the making of them

Caporegime
I am glad Peter Jackson and his pals cut quite a bit from the book, the book(s) good as they are, they suffer heavily from pacing. In the first book, there are pages after pages of the hobbits walking through the fields, sleeping, singing, poetry, literally about half the book is filled with that.

I tended to just flip the page when they started singing.

Man of Honour
Bumhucker said:
Well whatever it turns out to be, it's going to be very expensive and very good ;)
Wouldn't be too sure of that. Its only the strength of the story that was butchered that carried the LOTR films IMO.

EVH said:
I've always wanted to read the LOTR but fear the length.

If one was to read on average 2-4 hours a night how long would you say it'd take to complete a book?

I'm a great fan of the films, but I seek the depth I know was lost in the making of them
Takes me a couple of weeks when I read them.

Soldato
robmiller said:
Peter Jackson is making one, it should come out around 2009.

As of today, Peter Jackson is no longer involved in the film. He's quit after an arguement over the profits of the film. Well, not really quit, more been turfed out.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/celebrities/4350558.html

Posted 1 hour ago.

I agree with some of the sentiment in here that The Hobbit was the best book he wrote. It's absolutely spot on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hellsmk2 said:
I agree with some of the sentiment in here that The Hobbit was the best book he wrote. It's absolutely spot on.

thank you for agreeing with me ;) seeing as i seem to be one of the only other people who think so, kiddy's book, pfft

Back
Top Bottom