Enclosures what do you have?

Associate
Looking for a 3.5 SATA enclosure that uses a fan for cooling, has power saving features, and preferably has an internal PSU or it on the plug so there isn't a power brick (pet hate).

Man of Honour
Don't get one with a fan in it, the only ones I've seen have been poxy little 30mm efforts that whine like annoyed wasps rather than actually cooling anything. Mine lasted about 3 months before it got the message.

No idea about power, some of the bigger multi disk enclosures might have an internal PSU but most of the single disk ones will use a brick - it's cheaper to just have to change the power cord to suit different markets.

Soldato
Sparky191 said:
Looking for a 3.5 SATA enclosure that uses a fan for cooling, has power saving features, and preferably has an internal PSU or it on the plug so there isn't a power brick (pet hate).

URK? The features U want are all the ones most people DONT!

ie. U want fan, most want quiet for something that might be on a long time, espcially if its a NAS.

ie you want no brick and an internal PSU. That means more heat and hence need for that noisy fan again. External brick can be put within 5 feet or so of box but can be quiet!!!

Most external boxes (NAS or otherwise) are "brick" jobs and most try to be "silent" and use Alu for cooling etc.

Associate
OP
I've never been happy with the heat these fanless enclosures create. At least if theres a PSU in there the box tends to be bigger and have a fan. Or like I said have it on the plug so there one less cable. Even one tiny makes a big difference to the heat of a drive IMO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom