is my 2407 abnormal or are they just rubbish?

Associate
If i set my windows background to "none" so its just the standard blue background and look up close the pixels look sparkley. Its hard to explain. This effect doesnt move around the screen like random noise... its in a fixed position. To my eyes not all the pixels therefore look blue, but are interspersed with a film of grey/pinkey coloured glittery sparkley things. Its as though the screen coating somehow distorts the emitted light. I notice this at normal viewing distance (1 meter ish) with brightness at 50% quite readily. When i turn brightness down to 0% i have to move closer to see it.

I took a picture of the screen up close but have no idea whether this actually shows anything (probably not):

Associate
OP
hrmm i checked these pictures on my laptop screen and u cant tell from them this effect i am seeing on these pixels. I thought at first it was my eyes not being able to comprehend so many pixels. but its persisted since yesterday

Associate
The 'sparkles' effect is due to the anti-glare coating on the screen. I hate it also, but many people will swear it does not exist. I replaced mine because of it and the new one was exactly the same. Basically, you have to decide if you can live with it or not. I have to admit that i do not longer notice it as much. I tend to notice it more on a white background.

Regarding the other problem, make sure you are in Desktop mode and see if you still have it.

Btw, it’s not only the dells that have the sparkles effect. I know of a few others.

Associate
OP
thanks deadsquirel.

I removed the latter point about the two bands because i didnt think the second picture showed them :)

but yes... the sparkling effect is doing my head in.

i did do a quick google and found one of the acer monitors has this effect... i was just hoping that the 2407's didnt. Im used to nice matt tft's :(

the movie playback is unacceptably noisey too. Fortunately i didnt buy it to watch movies on.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i am slowly adjusting to it. Its deffinately worse on blocks of white colour like deadsquirrel says. My viewing distance is about 1 meter. Nevermind i will have to put up with it.

Associate
OP
yes, it was a big shock when i first saw it, it depressed me all evening. I love the size of this tho compared to my 15" tft 4:3... makes working so much easier.

Do movies still look rubbish in powerdvd or some better cinema app? i only tried running dvd from media player classic and also from vlc media player and i thought they looked really poor. Oh i also tried windows media player too. I dont care about this, but nonetheless i was suprised i hadnt heard anyone mention this before in one of the 2407 threads. :)

Soldato
Yeah I get the 'sparkle' thing on my 2007WFP too, especially on light colours, and on certain shades of grey I get some vertical bands too, not colour gradient banding, but rather a couple of large verical bands. Both effects are negligible enough for me to live with though.

I also get noisy movie playback. I'm still trying to work out whether the screen is adding noise, or just bringing out the noise that's already there. I'd like to use the screen with the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive when I get one, but I dunno if it's going to be up to it. I have noticed movies look quite a bit better using the 360 rather than played through my PC. Dissapointing to read the 2407 also has noisy movie playback.

The 2007 is still a very good screen for PC/360 games though.

Associate
OP
fish99 said:
I get some vertical bands too, not colour gradient banding, but rather a couple of large verical bands.

I get this too. In a photoshop 60cm by 30cm canvas size with black to grey gradient i get a few larger bands. They kind of look a bit blue to me. This doesnt bother me in the slightest as i can only notice it when i go looking for it. Games look great on this screen. I just dont understand why movies dont also. After my initial dissapointment i am happy with this screen. Its not as perfect as i had hoped though.

Man of Honour
how have you got the screen set up? Make sure you're on 1920 x 1200 res, at 60Hz refresh and in "desktop" preset mode; Worth checking

Associate
Interesting ... I could never adopt the AR coating and I tried many many times. I guess that some people are more sensitive to such things. Actually, to be more precise, I don't mind it for the big screen LCD TV (as ergonomical watching distance is larger), but for the LCD monitors it's simply annoyance to me. Humate impression is typical AR coating "syndrome" and strangely enough this is not mentioned very often. Also worth mentioning is that you have different "grades" of AR coating and that is reflected in the overall monitor price too. Simply put, cheaper the coating - effect is more pronounced.

This is the reason why I prefer the CRT "glass" or any other high quality non-AR coating. Less barrier between me and liquid crystal - the better :) If anyone is interested, I did have a write-up about this here.

Associate
OP
I still notice the AR coating all the time. Even in games i can see it constantly. Im selling this monitor as soon as the benq with 1:1 comes out... i just hope that doesnt have the same effect.

Associate
igors said:
Interesting ... I could never adopt the AR coating and I tried many many times. I guess that some people are more sensitive to such things. Actually, to be more precise, I don't mind it for the big screen LCD TV (as ergonomical watching distance is larger), but for the LCD monitors it's simply annoyance to me. Humate impression is typical AR coating "syndrome" and strangely enough this is not mentioned very often. Also worth mentioning is that you have different "grades" of AR coating and that is reflected in the overall monitor price too. Simply put, cheaper the coating - effect is more pronounced.

This is the reason why I prefer the CRT "glass" or any other high quality non-AR coating. Less barrier between me and liquid crystal - the better :) If anyone is interested, I did have a write-up about this here.

yes, when I first asked about it on another forum they all denied seeing it. I actually thought there was something wrong with my monitor and had it replaced. Only then it transpired that its an actual 'feature' of the monitor. To be honest, this is/was a much bigger deal then all of the other problems people have with this TFT. I don't care about the banding, especially as I use desktop mode. I don't care about the 1:1, the annoying OSD or anything else. The AR coating is by far my biggest gripe with this monitor and if it was not for the fact that I only paid around £430 for it, I would have sent it back ages ago. I also find it very surprising that its not a known or recognised issue with this monitor.

Humate - if you are unahppy with the monitor, send it back. Otherwise it would bug you every time you turn it on. In my case, i still rather use this then any other monitor around the £400 range so i stick with it.

Associate
OP
deadsquirrel said:
Humate - if you are unahppy with the monitor, send it back. Otherwise it would bug you every time you turn it on. In my case, i still rather use this then any other monitor around the £400 range so i stick with it.

Theres no 24" monitor that can replace this atm... I will just sell it when the benq with 1:1 comes out. I was suprised that i hadnt read about this "feature" as u describe it. It bugs me everytime i use the monitor. I was also suprised that i had not heard how bad it was for movie playback.

I can live with these gripes only because there is nothing else i can buy.

Back
Top Bottom