Another BenQ FP241W thread

Associate
ok guys im sure your getting bored of these threads about this screen but if i get the right answer ill order tonight. From reading reviews and these forums it seems the only problem with this screen is the 1:1 pixel mapping which is keeping me from ordering, but in my graphics drivers (nVIDIA) i have a aspect ratio option for 1:1, if i enable this option will the screen then run in 4:3?

Cheers guys.

Associate
Yes - the nvidia option makes the graphics card output a signal at the native res (1920*1200), which just has black bits down each side to show a 4:3 picture in the middle.

Associate
OP
Dear OcUK,

I'm looking to order a BenQ FP241W from you guys soon, reading you're
forums I'm aware there are problems with 1:1 pixel mapping which is said to be
updated via a Firmware very soon. My question is does you're current stock have
the firmware update? If not when are you likely to get it, and if I order before
the update how do I go about getting the update once purchase.

Regards - ****

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear **** **********,

Unfortunately the sales team have not currently been made aware of any problem
with the current batch.

Regards,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just checked my bank and my student loans gone in at last, so im ready to order :)

Man of Honour
the current batch will NOT have the firmware update, just to clear that up.

It's not been introduced yet, prob sometime in dec and after a certain point new stock will feature this already. it's unclear how existing owners will get this update, but will prob need to send their model to a service centre. 1:1 pixel mapping is only an issue really for external devices if you have an NVIDIA graphics card as that can achieve the same results for PC usage

Associate
Sometimes I wonder if the 1:1 pixel mapping is REALLY that important to some of you or it's just the unnecessary and much hyped complication you could live with. Comfortably too :) Seriously, it's edging towards the hysteria. How many of you will connect external sources to this LCD monitor ? How many of you will passionately run this monitor in non native resolutions ? How many of you will connect the gaming consoles ? Do we have any "accredited" report about the video interpolation quality ?

We may come to the final point actually. The Need. My advice would be that people carefully rethink if they really require this feature or not ... before rushing into the conclusions.

Soldato
Need may be a strong word, but when buying possibly the single most expensive item for your PC, and an item that's a not insignificant expenditure for most households technology budget you expect it to be good quality.

That's why I find the policy of dead pixels unacceptable (OK, so for £700 of monitor it's only a little bit broken?!??!) and why it seems daft for a monitor designed to have external sources and plays on it's media playing abilities to to have something as fundamental as an inability to present those sources without distorting them.

Not the end of the world I agree by any means, just indicative of the PC world where we accept that "stuff" doesn't perform as it should (S/W & H/W) in a way that we never would with anything else we buy.

Back
Top Bottom