Best Way to capture stars?

Caporegime
Hi People,

To me stars....they are just a thing of beauty, and it's been known for me to literally stare at them for hours. Now i've got a 350D with a kit lens and a 55-200 Canon Lens, Also have a tripod.

I haven't tried anything yet as i've been waiting for a clear night to do it, but I'd like to know what the best way to capture stars would be.

I thought of finding a nearby field with camera on tripod and pointing directly upwards with ISO100 for say a 15second exposure? so you don't get the trails of them, which admittendly look cool with the right picture.

But I'm just going to be looking to capture just a still star filled moment, and maybe pictures of the different formations like Orion etc.

Am I on the right track for achieving this? I can't see it being to difficult.

Many Thanks

Soldato
You could try, but i dont think you would get what your expecting, i think they would be to small to make a good picture.
You would need a better zoom for that, plus you would need to be somewhere with absolutely no ambient light, from street lamps or towns.

Im no pro at stars though so trial and error helps you learn.

Soldato
A problem is that the greater zoom you use, the more magnified the blurring effect, and the shorter shutter speed you are able to get away with. Finding the pole star, Polaris, and pointing your camera there will allow you to use longer exposures as the apparent rotation of star fields is less near here.

Unfortunately the Pole region isn't amazing brilliant for prominent constellations or bright stars, so your photos won't be as exciting.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
All the really exceptional star photos I have seen have used massive exposures. Something along the lines of an hour with the camera centered on the north star. A brilliant effect but you need a remote release at patience to do it.

Associate
As said I think it also helps where you are, If I tried this back home near Birmingham I don't think I'd have much luck with all the light pollution. But where my girlfriend lives in Wales the sky is amazing at night.

If your well known to stare at them for hours then just try as many variations of settings you can think of. Personally I would try and compose somewhere that interests you and photoshop in the stars in (if they are static) Plus if your camera is facing straight up then I cant see the image being much to shout about. Stars really are best captured as large rotations

Soldato
Another issue with longer exposures unless you have really dark skies, is that the background will carry a heavy orange/red hue from light pollution. You can of course tinker about in Photoshop to remove it, but ultimately noise remains.

Back
Top Bottom