Some people disgust me. Biker

Caporegime
On the way home tonight, was on the A25 waiting to cross the other lane so that I can head off down the back roads to home. 1 car infront of me (silver cougar, reg LB51 JCV (think DVLA site confirms) decides that he cannot see the motorbike that is clearly coming towards us and pulls out.
Biker slams on the breaks (not a special or big bike), its wet, clearly the inevitable happens.... the bloke comes off his bike. At the same time the cougar stops (if the biker hadnt braked he would have been ok and wouldnt of been hit) in the middle of the road. The biker goes about 10 metres down the road, the bike about 20.

Now the first reaction of myself and the woman driving the car behind, was to get out and see if he was ok and to make sure he was safe. The owner of the cougar on the other hand, waited for about 10 secs, then just drove of down the lane, between biker and bike. Not fast, just drove off as if nothing happened. I thought the driver was going to pull over, but they didnt. Just drove off.

I do hope that the reg I gave the bloke was correct (im not sure its the same as the one i mentioned, but im going to fiddle with the letters to try and find it in RAC site).

Some people are a joke.

Bloke was ok, he just said that its one of the perils of being a bike rider!
he also said 'Thank you for stopping and helping me, i will never be nasty about BMW drivers again' and smiled :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
im hoping that it would be, not sure how the insurance would look at it.

just looked on parkers, the car would have been £21k 5 years ago. Now its worth under £4k at best private! Now thats depreciation for you!!

Soldato
Do you think it was the a pillar obstructing his view of the bike or he was just not concentrating?

Horrible stuff either way, that somebody could drive away leaving somebody in the road. It does make me think was he legal, or did he have something to hide.

Permabanned
When I first read your post, I thought the biker collided with the car and then drove away :mad: :mad: :mad: but although I agree that the driver lacked a bit of common or human decency to see if the biker was alright, it doesn't surprise me that he drove away. As to who's fault, its difficult to say. Probably depends on how far the car pulled out though the driver does sound like he lacked a bit of awareness about the situation. Bikers drive defensively anyway and try to anticipate everything so I guess the biker took the view the view it was better to be safe that sorry.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
thebrasso said:
Do you think it was the a pillar obstructing his view of the bike or he was just not concentrating?

Horrible stuff either way, that somebody could drive away leaving somebody in the road. It does make me think was he legal, or did he have something to hide.

just a stupid driver, i could see the biker coming. his light was on, his jacket was flourescent yellow and well visable under the road lights and the car lights around (busy road at rush hour).

Permabanned
So the biker lost control of his bike because he was going to fast to stop in ample time for an emergency?

Like you said it was wet and he went flying but never hit the silver car in question

Jon

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Jon Frost said:
So the biker lost control of his bike because he was going to fast to stop in ample time for an emergency?

Like you said it was wet and he went flying but never hit the silver car in question

Jon

no, car pulled out right infront of the biker, then stopped. biker had already hit the brakes. If the car would not have stopped, the bike would have hit it. I both hadnt stopped, the biker would have went a lot further down the road.

Permabanned
Morba said:
no, car pulled out right infront of the biker, then stopped. biker had already hit the brakes. If the car would not have stopped, the bike would have hit it. If both hadnt stopped, the biker would have went a lot further down the road.

Obviously the silver ford was at fault but also sounds like the biker was going to fast to avoid this kind of incident.

The incident I refer to is the silver ford pulling out partially into the bike.

I assume if he was going slower he could have braked, controlled the bike and stopped safely...

Soldato
Jon Frost said:
Obviously the silver ford was at fault but also sounds like the biker was going to fast to avoid this kind of incident.

When you're travelling down a main road, do you slow down to a walking pace everytime you approach a side junction so that you'll be able to stop should a car pull out last second? If not why would you expect the biker to do so?

Soldato
Trojan said:
When you're travelling down a main road, do you slow down to a walking pace everytime you approach a side junction so that you'll be able to stop should a car pull out last second? If not why would you expect the biker to do so?

Exactly but side streets are my worst fear specially drivers who like to go fast and break just over the line lol aint good for the pants

Soldato
Trojan said:
Would this be classed as leaving the scene of an accident in the police's eyes do you think?

No. He wasn't involved in a collision with the bike therefore he wasn't involved in an accident.

It sucks but that's pretty much the way it works.

Soldato
Jon Frost said:

I assume if he was going slower he could have braked, controlled the bike and stopped safely...

I'm sorry but from the information given thats ridiculous. What speed is too fast? 20mph would be too fast if the distance wasnt great.

Soldato
kaiowas said:
No. He wasn't involved in a collision with the bike therefore he wasn't involved in an accident.

It sucks but that's pretty much the way it works.

Are you sure? What if the biker swerved to avoid the car pulling out and into a head on collision with another car? Or a tree? Its clear the car was involved an an incident that caused an accident. Surely that means they have a responsibility to report it? I might be wrong though.

Caporegime
OP
Jon Frost said:

He wasnt going too fast. He was doing no more than 35 imo (road is a 40). Its hard to go too fast on the A25 in rush hour.

When someone pulls out right infront of you, you will struggle to stop at any speed.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Calling police + holding back two witnesses and the registration would seal the Cougar drivers fate.

When I ran into a hedge and bounced off a tree due to a keyring jamming my yoke, my bike landed in the middle of the road with debris everywhere. Nobodies fault, but I counted 6 cars that drive round my bike (on an NSL too) at slow speed without more than just a glance. I felt sick. I wasn't injured, I just needed a moment to gain my bearings.

By the time a kind lady pulled over I was fine enough to limp it home and just thanked her and sent her on a safe journey home.

It shouldn't matter if there was a collision or not. All people seem to be bothered about are their material possessions and themselves. I have stopped for a lot of people, two of whom have died (cyclist heat attack + car, and a lady who came off her moped). Not a great feeling and tough for a 21 year old, but I could never of driven past, no matter how busy I should have been.

Back
Top Bottom