• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Pointless getting 8800***!! What games?!

Associate
What games is the power of an 8800 needed for? Oblivion maxed out at 1600x1200! Tom's hardware vga charts indicate that the 8800 GTX still 'only' gets 30.5 FPS average with those settings (outside rather than indoors, clearly). So not even an 8800GTX is actually fast enough really. :p

Associate
salami1212 said:
Well, at the moment there is no games which need the 8800*** cards to view them in full graphical glory. So im just saying why do people get them as they could have waited for a game like crysis to come out then get them for a fraction of the price.

Why are you posting?

You could have posted a fraction less and annoyed a fraction of the amount of people.

broke and window a fraction and swallowed a fraction,

twit

go away.

"A fraction of the price you say"?

I thought that would mean at least 50% less, no I think you mean "slightly cheaper" not "a fraction of the price"

Associate
HicRic said:
What games is the power of an 8800 needed for? Oblivion maxed out at 1600x1200! Tom's hardware vga charts indicate that the 8800 GTX still 'only' gets 30.5 FPS average with those settings (outside rather than indoors, clearly). So not even an 8800GTX is actually fast enough really. :p

I'm not sure if your agreeing\disagreeing with the op, but that says it all really, end of story close thread go home nothing to see another 8800 series hater told how it is.

(not you, the op) :)

Soldato
silversurfer said:
The original HL allowed FOV to be altered I think. It probably qualifies as a cheat but worth trying in single player?

If the sickness is all down to the FOV and that can be altered I might try and give it another go.

Thanks for the headsup guys on the FOV. Very interesting :)

Soldato
The Asgard said:
If the sickness is all down to the FOV and that can be altered I might try and give it another go.

Thanks for the headsup guys on the FOV. Very interesting :)

I'm not so sure FOV is the only thing ,I once played Farcry and it was Slightly Stuttery on mouse pans, It made me feel a bit strange, Something I have not had before of Scence

Soldato
Found this...Strange exactly the problem I had,

"How does this apply to games? The one-word answer is lag, the bane of all researcher working in virtual reality (in augmented reality it is even harder). User input occurs, and it takes a certain amount of time for that input to be processed by the computer, for the machine to determine what to do, and then to produce the appropriate output. The difference between the user's input (action) and the computer's response (reaction) is the critical lag factor in VR, games, and simulation. Cognitive experiments suggest that, so long as this lag is less than about a tenth of a second (the number varies based on task), the user feels in control. Greater than a tenth, and the user feels like their actions don't correspond to the reactions."

More reasons for the 8800's.. :)

Soldato
i didnt read the full thread simply because its 4 in the morning and i cant sleep but on the first page it was said that you could play games MAXED with a card half the price, i hardly think so. try playing FEAR at 1920x1200 with EVERY in game option MAXIMUM the framerates arent that great its hardly playable.

Soldato
easyrider said:
let me guess....

Can you afford one?
My guess is not or you wouldn't have posted as you would not see it as an issue.
Oh please! Just because someone questions the logic in upgrading to the latest and greatest graphics card doesn't mean they can't afford it.

If you want to get into a ******* contest over whether you can afford the latest hardware, I wonder how many people on here who are dropping hundreds on new kit are living at home with their folks with no mortgage, rent or bills to pay. Oh yes, I'm really impressed by the disposable income of such people! :rolleyes:

If you buy a new BMW and someone with a used Mondeo questions the logic of you spending so much on a new car, is that automatically because they "can't afford it"?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Strange, a card as fast as X1950XTX CF gets released and there no games that need it even though its better value then 7900GTX SLI and 1950 CF and allot more practical.

Guess it doesnt matter that it absolutely murders the 7950GX2 is games like Oblivion, Tomb Raider Legend, COH, COJ, HL2 Ep1, supreme commander, Dark Messiah, Prey, Quake 4, BF2 and so many other DX9 games..

Hell its the first card that can really handle tomb raider legends next gen mode... which was designed for the xbox360 which happens to also use unified shaders.. Sign of things to come? maybe ! :p

tomb_raider.gif

Soldato
OP
ernysmuntz said:
I'm not sure if your agreeing\disagreeing with the op, but that says it all really, end of story close thread go home nothing to see another 8800 series hater told how it is.

(not you, the op) :)

yep, because i asked a question as to why people buy it, it means i hate it... you my friend, are speaking out the anoos area

edited so less personal maybe.. ?

Last edited:
Soldato
salami1212 said:
yep, because i asked a question as to why people buy it, it means i hate it... you my friend, are speaking out the anoos area

edited so less personal maybe.. ?

It would not have mattered how You Worded the Original Question, All these type of threads seem to go the same way.. :rolleyes:

Most Everyone who buy's or owns kit on here seems to ureservedly defend it to the end...Why ? Reviews IMO are often Biased or Slanted the equipment not even being tested enclosed in a "normal " PC Case enviroment, This should be the best place for accurate feedback to assist fellow enthusiasts

Sorry, Just my take on it all.. ;)

Soldato
easyrider said:
Indeed I am! :D

Coming to think of it you tried to sell me your 7950gx2 at a "high" price lol just before 8800 release, cheeky bugger :p

does anyone use v-sync enabled when playing games?

i always do to stop tearing, from what understood

at least i never see fraps dip below 60 ... or above :D

Caporegime
<maddness> said:
Coming to think of it you tried to sell me your 7950gx2 at a "high" price lol just before 8800 release, cheeky bugger :p

does anyone use v-sync enabled when playing games?

i always do to stop tearing, from what understood

at least i never see fraps dip below 60 ... or above :D

:p

Back
Top Bottom