symposium day at uni... I really am scared/nervous, any tips?

Associate
OP
thanks again everyone :D I have made notes from the whole thread, reading all the posts made it blatantly obvious that I am not the only one to be in this situation, and to try and look at the bigger picture. ;)

Hopefully I will put all the tips into practice and it will go smoothly. Honestly though I have never been this worried/scared in ages and the 'words of wisdom' have reduced it to controllable nerves. :D

Still 3 weeks to go but I will try and get learning my topic and practicing the lecture ASAP!!!

Love ya all!!!

deadkomodo

Soldato
going first makes it so much easier

i used to always wait but then ended up worrying even more after realizing my presentation was utter tripe compared to the guy who just wents

dont go for the dutch courage route .guy at college thought he was clever doing it but was a bit embarassed when he asked if anyone had any questions and someone asked "have you been drinking"

Associate
My thoughts when doing something like this are basically that if I know what I am going to say well enough, I will say it well, and get the points across.

Make sure you are concise, and not boring, as when people are bored they will show it, and it will bring your confidence down, making a mistake more likely.

If applicable add in a few jokes, this could help move the presentation along; have some form of humorous, or thought provoking plans for if you forget something or think you will not last the 20 minutes.

Angus Higgins

Soldato
Gman knows where it's at. Scary things are often way less scary than they seem. These bad situations are so small in the long run. (Bit off topic now...) think about all the good things that have happened recently and scary or upsetting things look very insignificant.

Back on topic, knowledge and above all INTEREST are most important. If you enjoy talking about it and find it interesting they won't be able to stop you. I surprise myself when I talk about my main interests as I'm normally fairly non-rambling with what I say.

Good luck :)

Soldato
Once your up there youll be fine.

-Write a note on a piece of paper the oders your going to talk about thing
-Talk to the audience, not the desk, or the floor, or a bit of paper.
-Dont talk fast, make sure your voice is clear and at a steady rate

Most of all though, try to enjoy it. If you are always sayign you hate it then youll be nervous and wont do as will. Approach it confident, and it shows on delivery fo *** presentation.

Soldato
It should also help to know that everyone else giving presentations will feel exactly the same as you and will therefore be understanding when you're talking. I know this really helps me.

Associate
I've just taken a short course on giving presentations as I get scared as anything before i give one. my heart beats and i speak so fast.

everyone's advice is great. one thing i was also told is that 95% of the success you'll have with your presentation is determined by the preparation you've done before you even enter the room. that's good to know though because it means you can practically guarantee success alone and away from everyone.

all the best with it. you seem keen and clued up so im sure you'll absolutely nail it!

Back
Top Bottom