Is the PSP going the same way as the Dreamcast?

Soldato
In reply to the ops opening post I would have to say my local games shop (and I mean that in terms of gaming and not the competitor) has a larger area devoted to the psp than to the DS. There also (and this annoys me) quite a few games coming out now for the psp that I actually like the look of unlike the DS which has absolutely nothing of interest for me (and I have one, and traded a psp for it FFS...grrrr)

Yes it has its downfalls but for me so does the DS in the complete lack of errrr well games I am interested in.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
HaX said:
I've just been having a look on the DS Games list on Gamespot, and TBH the games that are out for the PSP are much more to my taste.

I used to own a PS2, which I sold for an Xbox. I have regretted this decision ever since.

To me, the PSP is almost a direct replacement for my PS2. If like me, you are into racing games, or realistic graphics, the PSP is the only console to buy.

Do you own a psp or are you just comparing game lists ?

Soldato
Whoever said the Dreamcast was **** needs a slap. It had brilliant games, Its a shame it couldnt beat the marketing power of Sony , but even games like Chu Chu rocket held me for ages.

And shenmue was just jawdropping. Better than ANYTHING on the ps2 to date

Associate
Ah yes, the Dreamcast .. such a lovely machine. Still got it lying around
at my mom's place. Might play some games on it again if I happen to be there during the holiday season.

It's still a joy to see what the Dreamcast is capable of.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Hedge said:
Whoever said the Dreamcast was **** needs a slap.

Indeed, never heard a bad word said about it by anyone who owned one. Gave me more enjoyment than my xbox, ps2 and gamecube combined.

I see a lot of people around with PSP's on the train, never see anyone playing a DS though.

Associate
Well i didnt get a PSP first and got a DS lite. It held my attention for a while, but i found myself getting bored of Animal Crossing and the other touch screen games. Novelty wore off. I found myself going back to the old tried and tested console games like sport and racing titles. I then compared the games i was playing on the DS to what was available on the PSP, and it was like comparing a 486 PC to a Pentium 4.
So i traded the DS lite in and got a PSP and the difference blew me away. Wireless and browser out of the box,films and my fav USA episodes and music, photos straight away on my memory card. I find the games so much better now as well and more in content, detailed and polished.
And Football Manager has me totally addicited all over again.

Soldato
I think my happiest gaming moments were experienced on the Dreamcast and I'll always be glad I didn't wait for the PS2 because I would have really missed something so very special. A lot of people say don't judge a console on the 1st lot of games that get launched with it as they don't tend to be that good because developers haven't had much hands on exp with such hardware which is fair. Amazingly though the Dreamcast was amazing from the off and the games run extremely smooth. I'm wondering if the whole smoothness was down to the DC having a version of Windows CE making coding a piece of cake. That could also expleain why a lot of games graphicly looked better than games in some cases on the PS2.

Soldato
I think there is a little too much nostalgia for the Dreamcast here.

I have one sitting right next to me that I bought in the US. I only ever bought four games for it... Crazy Taxi, RE: Code Veronica, Space Channel 9 and Soul Calibur.

- Space Channel 9 was a quirky hit button combinations game, which lost its appeal once you had finished it.

- Crazy Taxi I got really bored with.

- Resident Evil was great and was the reason I bought the console, but then it did come out on the PS2 later.

- Soul Calibur was good and really held my attention unlike most fighting games. Lots of extra challanges and unlockables.

I worked in a games shop at the time, so I took home most of the other games and played them. The only other game I remember being much good was Sonic Adventure, which was also the only game I remember making any use of the VMU. I was also impressed by the graphics on Ecco the Dolphin. I never got to play Shenmue which is what a lot of people seem to think is its best title.

In contrast, I've bought a lot more games for my PS2....though it has been around much longer. I think I will probably sell my Dreamcast soon.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
GSXRMovistar said:
Yet the PSP gets slated for having ports/versions from it's home counterpart. :p

Because they ARE ports, were as the those games are built from the ground up for the DS.

Caporegime
Kreeeee said:
Nah, I'd spank you silly on mario kart, metroid or advance wars. Each one requires a lot of skill.

Mario Kart is proper hard to be good at. I've managed to complete 150cc mirror mode, but I'm sure I'd still get whipped by plenty of people.

I want Advance Wars... Someone sell it to me...

Soldato
XPE said:
Because they ARE ports, were as the those games are built from the ground up for the DS.
Yet Mario Kart DS instintly looks/feels the same as playing it on the SNES, N64, Cube or GBA. Not saying that it's a bad thing at all just makes me wonder why it's ok for one system and not the other.

Permabanned
Raider said:
The Dreamcast had a lot of good games and was a cult classic...

The PSP... ummm :p

Of course the DC has some great games but so has PSP imo. Vice city stories, liberty city stories, Pro Evo 5 and a lot of other games have been good buys on the PSP as well.

chaparral said:
And about 21 million PSP are most likely sitting under people beds collecting dusk for months...if mine is anything to go by..

Agreed incept my PSP is sitting underneath my sofa. :p

Soldato
Nexus said:
- Space Channel 9 was a quirky hit button combinations game, which lost its appeal once you had finished it.

Space channel 5 :p

The dc was amaqzing for the time, its not ahrd to see that just play on it now and it still holds its own. It was released in 1998 every other platform out in 1998 looks poor as these days.

I dont think windows ce was responsible for dc being full of smooth games as Ive read in the apst windows ce wasnt actually an inbuit part of the DC dev's would have to actually include a version of windows ce on the game disc.

If you read the front of the DC you'll see that its 'compatible with windows ce' if windows ce was used it was easy to code for but it took a big performance hit.

O ok Ive found the wikipedia link

Microsoft co-operated with Sega in hopes of promoting its Windows CE operating system for video games. Windows CE offered easy porting of existing PC applications, as it came along with a special version of DirectX 6. However, compared to the Dreamcast's native operating system, it offered limited capabilities. When developers took advantage of the easy development offered by Windows CE, the resulting games (e.g., Sega Rally 2) lagged in performance and framerate. The only Windows CE applications known by most users were on a pack-in CD containing a CE-based dialer and web browser. Windows CE was not an integral part of the system. Instead, each game that ran on Windows CE had its own Windows CE version on the game disk which was loaded before the actual game.

Anyway you list 4 games there that arent exaclty the pinnicle of DC gaming (for me anyway). Look at Shenmue 1 and 2, skies of arcadia, powerstone, fishing series, they are worth praising a system on there own.

Associate
Skies is better on GC (unless you're an audiophile at the expense of everything else).

Shenmu though... pure awesome. And almost impossible to find *sobs*.

Jet Set Radio gets an honourable mention too.

Back
Top Bottom