Lost in a World of Choices

Soldato
I'm 22, I don't have a degree and I'm living in China, teaching our wonderful English language.

I'm interested in Graphic Design, Web Development, Business and Languages. I'm learning Chinese (In China, god damn it helps :p) and German. I don't have a wife, girlfriend, kids or anything. I don't mind living abroad; being away from the UK is very nice, although I do miss it a little.

So, I want to get into business but I don't know what areas are best suited for my hobbies or whether making my hobbies a part of my career is such a good idea.

I could earn a degree in China, but I doubt that'd be worth much in the west. I'm sure I'd have no problem studying for a degree when I get back to the UK in July, but that takes 3 years and I can't honestly say I'd be dedicated for that long.

Going through school, being in and out of college, and now teaching kinda makes the whole academic scene very boring. I wouldn't say I'd be dead against a good oppertunity/plan, but it just isn't the most appealing idea.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or just share their opinions about my situation, or maybe you've been/are in a similar situation and have something to share that might be of some use.

Thanks.

Permabanned
I have not really been in your situation mate but you seem like a very mature guy, if i was you i would take a few weeks off an juggle about with your opportunities. If you like something but cba to wait 3 years to do it then cancell it and find something else you like to do and see how long that takes you. If you are usually unsure about something it either means you want something else in place of it or you just cba to wait or something like that. I hope you find what you are looking for mate.

G0dfather

Soldato
OP
Well, I go back home in July 07 and so I guess that gives me until the beginning of August to really go around different career advice centres, to see what my options are.

I'd love to go and study for a degree in the US or, more interestingly, Germany. But I'm not sure if they do degree's in English in non-English countries or whether it would be worth it, because maybe the quality of the degree wouldn't be so good.

Soldato
Oh look it's you!! Hope all is well mate!

You are in probably the best country to make some good money.

Some guy on eBay exports goods from China to the UK and people are paying between £35-200 just to gain access to his service, then he makes 5-10% commission on the items he brings in. That is a nice, tidy and easy money making scheme.
Another one is; bringing in goods that are being demanded that you can sell at great prices. Heck, you don't need to worry about poor suppliers as you can visit them before buying, which is a major plus factor!!

If it was me I would be exploring a variety of business opportunities, picking what is best and starting small to begin with.

Good luck!!

Soldato
OP
Hardware is extremely cheap here, that's for sure. I didn't believe it at first but, yep, you can pick up 17" LCD Monitors/TVs for £50. Actual computer hardware, and especially keyboards and stuff, are so cheap you wouldn't believe it.

It's all Chinese brand electronics, but it's good quality. Lenovo is big over here, and they're pretty decent. I got myself a DVD/WMA/DivX/MP3 (and more) player for 299 yuan (£19). It's amazingly stylish, very quick and has so many different ports that allow you to connect it to anything. Man, I'm sure I can plug my shower in there somewhere! :p

But, after saying all this, it's hardly a long term plan. It's a good short-term plan for quick and easy money, though. If I get some Chinese guy to package/post it and I just take some commission, I don't even have to work except to list it.

Hmm. :o :p

Soldato
OvertoneBliss said:
Hardware is extremely cheap here, that's for sure. I didn't believe it at first but, yep, you can pick up 17" LCD Monitors/TVs for £50. Actual computer hardware, and especially keyboards and stuff, are so cheap you wouldn't believe it.

It's all Chinese brand electronics, but it's good quality. Lenovo is big over here, and they're pretty decent. I got myself a DVD/WMA/DivX/MP3 (and more) player for 299 yuan (£19). It's amazingly stylish, very quick and has so many different ports that allow you to connect it to anything. Man, I'm sure I can plug my shower in there somewhere! :p

But, after saying all this, it's hardly a long term plan. It's a good short-term plan for quick and easy money, though. If I get some Chinese guy to package/post it and I just take some commission, I don't even have to work except to list it.

That's just one idea, you really can do things long term, it just depends where you look, what you sell and how. Especially if you are able to come from the UK and go back to China. Stear clear of branded goods though, only asks for trouble and you will lose your money and goods, maybe even do time in prison!

Permabanned
OvertoneBliss said:

Ah the days when OB would post 'A girl on the bus stole my gfs hat, so I hit her one' :D

Just go with the flow, the best plans and most interesting in life are the ones that go with the flow of things...setting plans you miss out on new opportunities, go join the Triads :D

Back
Top Bottom