Is this too dark for a web page ?

Man of Honour
As title , just trying a darkish , minimalist look for a web site gallery.

homepagerq0.jpg

Comments/Criticisms welcomed.

Mark

Soldato
As Beansprout said, it needs more contrast. It also lacks structure, and gives the impression of disjointed bits and pieces floating randomly around the page.

Also, I'd recommend using a more standard, easier to read typeface for the page's content, and preferably not an image :)

Soldato
I'm not sure how that relates to the final design (where are the pictures?? :p ) so as above really: contrast the background up and darken, use white text, and a standard font for body text. Structure links somehow, give them something special, a font or colour, or rollover. Or place them in a menu. Nothing you didn't know already.

I like the flame.

Soldato
Custom fonts can be difficult. You have to find a widespread one, ideally a windows default, some backups, and some default mac ones. Also, can be hard to read. Just trying to dissuade you :)

Looks better. A flash of colour might be nice though. Depends what the space is going to contain. If you're sticking colour photos in there it'll look fine.

What's the plan man!? :)

Man of Honour
OP
joeyjojo said:
Custom fonts can be difficult. You have to find a widespread one, ideally a windows default, some backups, and some default mac ones. Also, can be hard to read. Just trying to dissuade you :)

Looks better. A flash of colour might be nice though. Depends what the space is going to contain. If you're sticking colour photos in there it'll look fine.

What's the plan man!? :)

Just trying to knock up a background , with a basic text layout for the homepage.

Must be a sort of handwritten text , and the gallery will feature colour pics.

I know didly squat about website coding/programming etc.

The only site i ever made was done in Dreamweaver some years ago , which is now scorned upon :D

Are there any "handwritten" web compatible fonts ?

Mark

Soldato
Really, no. But if you know which are windows/mac defaults you can use those. For example, in the css: p {font-family: "Bradley Hand ITC", "Another font", "And another", "some backups ones", Verdana, Arial;}

http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html

For things which must be a unique font you'll have to make an image.

Also, automatically stretching an image for a background often looks poor. A tried and tested solution would be to basically keep it the same but stick it in the middle of the page:

Cliched, sorry, but that's the basic design for a reason. You need to get some ideas together from this chap, work out what you want sort of thing.

Man of Honour
OP
joeyjojo said:
Really, no. But if you know which are windows/mac defaults you can use those. For example, in the css: p {font-family: "Bradley Hand ITC", "Another font", "And another", "some backups ones", Verdana, Arial;}

http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html

For things which must be a unique font you'll have to make an image.

Also, automatically stretching an image for a background often looks poor. A tried and tested solution would be to basically keep it the same but stick it in the middle of the page:

Cliched, sorry, but that's the basic design for a reason. You need to get some ideas together from this chap, work out what you want sort of thing.

Thanks for the advice and your knowledge JJJ

Got a lot to learn, should keep me busy :D

Man of Honour
I think joeyjojo had a good stab at brightening the fonts up, definitely looks better :) Compare your original site with the posted Apple one and see the difference, if you can get a similar type of contrast you're halfway there..

Man of Honour
OP
riddlermarc said:
I think joeyjojo had a good stab at brightening the fonts up, definitely looks better :) Compare your original site with the posted Apple one and see the difference, if you can get a similar type of contrast you're halfway there..

Agree , JJJ has made a lot of difference ( he's annoylingly good :D ), have to read up on compatable fonts

Back
Top Bottom