• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

upgrading to a 8800 series

Associate
Hi, I would like to know if my spec would be a bottleneck for a 8800 series gts or gfx card;

athlon 64 3700 @ 2.5ghz
2 gigs ddr 400 ram
asus a8n sli
hiper 580 type r

Associate
OP
I will also be using a monitor with a native res of 1650x1050, would a GTS be suitable to run titles such as company of heroes, fear and prey at that res?

Associate
Firstly upgrade your cpu,mobo,ram, keeping your current gfx, then update to 8800 when you get the money.

Be sure to OC that c2d tho.. ;)

Soldato
Hmm so am i running a core 2 at 3.0 would that be classed as a bottleneck to a 8800gts, only say this as i was going up tomorrow morning to overs to get it.

Man of Honour
The following should be of interest: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_8800_gtx_gts_amd_cpu_scaling/page10.asp

Basically you will see far more of a boost (in games) from a GPU upgrade than a mobo/RAM upgrade. As you can see, in FEAR at 1600x1200 a 3800+ with 8800GTS beats an FX-62 with x1950xtx. OK so a conroe setup is going to beat the FX-62 but even so the fact remains that most games are GPU-limited at the res you are talking about (1680x1050) with AA+AF.

While traditionally I have tended to built 'balanced' systems, with 'good value' highly overclockable components (mobo/cpu/ram/gfx), I've come to the conclusion in recent times that often the best way to get top performance in games is to get a very high end gfx card and then scrimp elsewhere, buying el cheapo RAM and a relatively low end cpu. Spending an extra £100 on the gpu (say a 8800GTS instead of a x1950xt) makes far more of a difference in games than an extra £100 on the cpu (E6600 instead of E6300). Likewise while some high fsb/low latency RAM will give you a few percent extra, it doesn't justify shelling out an extra £50+ more which you could have used for a better GPU.

It's one of the reasons why I'm still using a Venice 3000+, but with a relatively modern GPU (7900GTO). I've upgraded my gfx, but I can't see myself touching the mobo/cpu until a new groundbreaking tech arrives, or Conroe drops down to proper bargain basement prices (say £250 all-in for a decent mobo, 2gig DDR2 AND cpu)

Last edited:
Associate
Get the 8800GTS. I've just done the upgrade with a comparable system to yours and can now run games in 1680*1050. with the eye candy turned on. Maybe when the newer DX10 games come out it might be necessary to upgrade the CPU.
The improvement over my previous 7800GTX is astonishing.

Permabanned
I've got an 8800GTS paired with a socket 754 3700 clawhammer and it's pretty awesome. So i can't get massive 3d mark scores, who cares? It runs any game i throw at it completely maxed out and at a good frame rate, thats all that matters. I think some people feel they have to justify getting conroe systems. My CPU is obviously a bottleneck but i essentially get to switch on all the eye candy for free. Don't let anyone put you off getting an 8800.

Associate
OP
Ok then, I guess I just need to know if a gts will fit in a thermaltake soprano?

Hangtime that article was excellent, looks like most of the games that interested me were mostly gpu bound :cool:

Associate
Gotta go with Hangtime on this one , you WILL see the most benefit from a GPU upgrade rather than going to c2d(you'll be able to have ALL the candy on in every game out there now) , read the firingsquad article on cpu scaling with a64 x2's and see for yourself (don't forget atm an X2 in MOST games is the same as a similarly clocked single core a64) , personally I would go with a GTX if you can afford it , if later next year you fancy a system upgrade I.E. cpu/mobo/ram you already know the card will just get faster along with your upgrade , defo the way to go IMO. :)

Back
Top Bottom