phone for tomtom?

Soldato
I am able to upgrade my phone on orange very soon and would like a phone with a good camera, can handle tomtom and can browse the net - wireless would be great.

Ive had a look around forums and now cant decide what i want lol. After having good advice from you all before i have come to beg your advice once more on what phone you lot would go for for the above spec...

TYIA

Colin

Underboss
I had a Nokia N70 with TomTom mobile 5, the phone is good for it, nice size screen etc
but I wonderd why the sat nav kept on disconecting from the GPS , becuase TomTom havemt fixed it so i just bought an all in one instead

to be honest the size of the screen is far too small and the light reflects of it so u cant see it anyway, waste of you money tbh. for the price of a phone, the software and a nice GPS receiver will be the same as a tomtom ONE @ £180

Soldato
colinuk said:
I am able to upgrade my phone on orange very soon and would like a phone with a good camera, can handle tomtom and can browse the net - wireless would be great.

Ive had a look around forums and now cant decide what i want lol. After having good advice from you all before i have come to beg your advice once more on what phone you lot would go for for the above spec...

TYIA

Colin
From everything you say above the SPV M3100 looks like a good fit, can easily handle all you ask of it, only issue will be if the size is a problem for you.

Associate
Apparently the new NOKIA N95 which comes out 1st quarter of 07 has GPS and a 5mp camera onboard.

form little bits ive seen via googling its shaping up to be a excellent phone, apparently its not even that big/bulky or heavy.

just another option for yo to think about.

Associate
In work (t-mobile) we offer the a mda compact 2 ,3 ,mda vario and vario 2 , which are all made by H.T.C and are all powered by windows mobile 5.0 , they all work very well , mind you they don’t use tom tom , they use co pilot live , which i got to say is very very good indeed. The best out of the lot is the vario 2; all together you get the gps receiver, charger, software, mem card and a subscription, with exception to the mda compact 3 which has the gps receiver built in.
Might be worth checking them out, as t mobile also offer some very good data package's
Trying my hardest not to sound to pro t-mobile here but check them out of you get a chance.

Have tried out the co pilot on the vario and yes it works fine got me from Wales (home) to Birmingham (gods kitchen, clubbing) fine.
Hope this might be of some help to you fella!

All the best
Alex slane

Associate
Tomtom 6 has some issues on the vario II as i've just found out :(

It isn't officially supported and quite often it crashes when I start it up or use the touch screen. Hopefully these issues will be resolved in a free upgrade.

Associate
ShiWarrior said:
tbh. for the price of a phone, the software and a nice GPS receiver will be the same as a tomtom ONE @ £180

By the time you've bought an additional memory card, a memory card adaptor, and a decent holder for the car a tomtom one works out WAY cheaper!!

Soldato
molar said:
Tomtom 6 has some issues on the vario II as i've just found out :(

It isn't officially supported and quite often it crashes when I start it up or use the touch screen. Hopefully these issues will be resolved in a free upgrade.

I suggest you try flashing the Vario II with a newer ROM version. Details over on the XDA Developers forum. Looks pretty difficult but once you've read up its easy. Takes around half an hour to do.

You lose all T-Mobile customisations, so you need to manually enter MMS and GPRS settings etc. Free memory with the T-Mobile firmware was around 20mb. With this HTC firmware its around 27-30mb.The phone just feels more responsive and a bit more nippy.

The only time my Tom Tom 6 freezes on my Vario II is when you first load it up and it automatically turns on the Bluetooth. The screen freezes for a second or 2 and once the Bluetooth is on, it works perfectly.

Last edited:
Underboss
molar said:
By the time you've bought an additional memory card, a memory card adaptor, and a decent holder for the car a tomtom one works out WAY cheaper!!

I agree, i forgot that u will need another MMC card for your phone, yeah still works out cheaper to buy a in car satnav (£100+)

oh wait a minite, for the car?? u dont need another mem card, another holder and case, they come with EVERYTHING u need

Associate
molar said:

Mate it all comes with the co pilot bundle !
then you got a all in one , what you got to remember this is about somebody looking for Gps package for there phone?.

;)

Suspended
GuruJockStrap said:
I suggest you try flashing the Vario II with a newer ROM version. Details over on the XDA Developers forum. Looks pretty difficult but once you've read up its easy. Takes around half an hour to do.

Excellent, sounds like this is just what I need.

Do you have a direct link to this?

GuruJockStrap said:
You lose all T-Mobile customisations, so you need to manually enter MMS and GPRS settings etc. Free memory with the T-Mobile firmware was around 20mb. With this HTC firmware its around 27-30mb.The phone just feels more responsive and a bit more nippy.

Again, great! :)

where do you get all the settings from to enter manually?

Permabanned
ShiWarrior said:
I had a Nokia N70 with TomTom mobile 5, the phone is good for it, nice size screen etc
but I wonderd why the sat nav kept on disconecting from the GPS , becuase TomTom havemt fixed it so i just bought an all in one instead

to be honest the size of the screen is far too small and the light reflects of it so u cant see it anyway, waste of you money tbh. for the price of a phone, the software and a nice GPS receiver will be the same as a tomtom ONE @ £180

The problem wasnt with tomtom, it was the poxy pos N70, buggy rubbish rubbish, phone and that was despite me spending muchos bucks on FW upgrades :mad: the BT implentation was really poor on the N70.

Anyway im using a Sony p990i with tomtom 6 and it works really well,nice big touch screen.

But the only reason i use this option is that i want a one box solution, i dont want a tomtom1 that i have hideaway or risk getting it nicked, i unclip the phone and walk away.Plus its cheaper to get the euro maps for the phone i think.

Cheapest solution is a cheap PDA tho

Associate
alexslane said:
Mate it all comes with the co pilot bundle !
then you got a all in one , what you got to remember this is about somebody looking for Gps package for there phone?.

;)

Arghhh bought it all separately!! :eek: Running tomtom instead of copilot.

Associate
I've just bought (well pre-ordered) an E-TEN Glofiish X500 Sim-free. Yes that is a mouthful but it's a pretty cracking phone.

It's pretty much the same as the O2 Orbit but double the speed of processor and a bigger battery, still has GPS built in.

It appears to have some teething problems but new ROM is supposed to fix that and at £355 sim-free is a bargain if you ask me!

Soldato
Guybrush said:
Excellent, sounds like this is just what I need.

Do you have a direct link to this?

Again, great! :)

where do you get all the settings from to enter manually?

All the information regarding the firmware update can be found at the XDA Wiki HTC Hermes page here:

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=HTC_Hermes

With regards to the T-Mobile settings, if you you log onto your account via the T-Mobile website theres a section with the manual for the Vario II. Its not a copy of the manual you get in the box but a more customised one with screenshots directing you through stuff.

If you grab the latest HTC firmware there are a few other things you'll have to do manually if I recall off the top of my head:

1. Gone will be the T-Mobile alerts for the alarm, recieved text message/MMS and appointments. The default sound is a short beep and not very good. I just grabbed a few of the Nokia alerts, converted them to .wav and slapped them in the Windows directory. Job done.

2. You'll also notice that the flashing green light won't go to amber (to tell you you've missed a call/message/etc). You can adjust this setting is settings>sounds.

3. A few of the vibrations are off so you'll have to enable them. Again, you'll find it in the sound section of settings.

The 3G logo will also not be present. Instead you'll see U. Don't panic, as it still uses the HSDPA data connection. Tested it and got a cool 1.2Mbps. :cool:

The shortcut key to "Memory" (bottom left above green ansfer button) will also be gone and will be replaced with Calendar. Contacts will be on the other side. Bit of a pain if you used it all the time to go and close running apps. Doesn't bother me in the slightest as I'm using an app that actually closes rather than just minimise apps when you tap X.

I was a bit concerned that voicemail notification wouldn't work but I'm glad to say it works perfectly in this firmware.

There are probably a few other things but can't quite remember now.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Cheers for the info - got more than i thought i would, as per norm here :)

will go research these phones ppl have said and see what i think. M3100 looks good but may wait for the N95 as that looks liek agreat phone too...

so many to pick from... and ive not even looked at O2 yet lol..

ColiN - keep the phone ideas coming please ppl.

Soldato
I have O2 XDA Mini S with TomTom 6 and its awesome :D

Would defo recommend it!! but then I only paid 80 quid on payg :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom