Looking for a good C+C style game

R^T

R^T

Associate
Looking for a good command and conquer style game.

Am I right in thinking COmpany of heroes is like that?

Anyone had any first hand exsperiance and can tell me what it's like?
Any other decent games out there?

Thanks Luke

Permabanned
CoH is more along the lines of DoW not C+C as there is no real "harvesting" of resources. but they are similair in the way that a RTS is to another RTS (building bases, upgrades, a few defence structures. you gain resources by capturing points which increase the amount of "supplies" you get given from the invisible high command... ie if you capture a few points the "command" will think its worth investing in your army and give you more points. however it really is just "more points, the more resources"

CoH has a more versatile terrain which actually matters and is highly physical (ie destructable)

and men are often in squads not individual units, personally i find the AI and spacing and terrain awareness pretty awesome. im a big fan and the MP games are sweet.

there is also slight personalisation within the army on what doctrine you choose (3 for each side each with their own advantages)

Soldato
Generals.

Thats the only honest answer.

Every SINGLE RTS thats come out since then is rubbish IMO.

I don't want magical spells (DOW/BFME etc) or past times (M:TW,R:TW etc)

I want INDIVIDUAL unit control, and units that are realistic, ala Generals & RA2. Ok so Yuri wasnt realistic, but it was still easy to get to grips with :D

Man of Honour
SeanyK said:
Generals.

Thats the only honest answer.

Every SINGLE RTS thats come out since then is rubbish IMO.

I think you're missing the point that generals was the one game that began the rubbish RTS's. It was stupidly poor and a disgrace to the C&C name.

Soldato
It was a different style of C&C but still better than the other RTS's that have come since.

I hated Zero Hour though, too complicated and unbalanced.

I do not think 3d is an absolute must for the RTS genre.

Soldato
Zefan said:
BFME and DoW were brilliant games.

Also get your hands on the Supreme Commander beta, such a massive game!

BFME was the worst RTS ive ever played, DoW was the closest to grabbing my attention, until I realised that involves silly magic as well.

Heard of Supreme Commander, im gonna have a look for that, although I hope it doesnt have magic or spells or wizards and stuff in it!

Associate
I love c&c also, bought them all and still play zero hour via internet with my bro. I bought COH and tbh its not as good, dont get me wrong its class graphics and very well put together, but its just not c&c. The fact you cant control each individual unit really bugs me when im playing it. Dont buy coh if its c&c style your looking for.

Don
Zefan said:
I think you're missing the point that generals was the one game that began the rubbish RTS's. It was stupidly poor and a disgrace to the C&C name.

yup

generals was very poor :(

give Company of Heroes a blast, its not the same as c&c, but if you enjoyed c&c, you'll definatly like this :)

i tried dawn of war (came free with coh) but i got bored of it, i think the dumb voices and stuff got to me more than anything..!

Associate
I've never uderstood where all the DoW lovin' comes from. I played it and it was alright, nothing special. I completed because I had nothing else to do at the time but it never really grabbed me; it was pretty easy and cutscenes were so cheesy it hurt! Maybe you have to be a warhammer fan or something.

I don't think I have played an RTS for ages that has sucked me in like C&C and RA2 did. Empire Earth was pretty neat and i'm enjoying M2:TW but it's a different kind of game really...

Supreme Commander and the new C&C look like being brilliant though :D

Soldato
SeanyK said:
BFME was the worst RTS ive ever played, DoW was the closest to grabbing my attention, until I realised that involves silly magic as well.

Well what would you expect from a Fantasy game set in a futuristic Sci-fi Universe? Hardly going to be realistic is it now? There would only be so far that you can go with technology in 40,000 years so yes 'magic' as you put it would be a must to keep the game interesting and the Armies unique. Most of the abilities in the game are Psychic abilities I cannot think of any army besides Chaos that uses magic.

But I do agree with you about BFME, it was boring and mediocre at best.

Associate
kinetic747 said:
I second that as is Ground Control 2. :cool:

I second that aswell, Act of War was good and quite like a modern C&C with the cutscenes and style of play. First Ground control was brilliant until I got a bug where a level that took about 2 hours to get to the end of crashed at the same point every time :(

Back
Top Bottom