High Ping in games

Associate
Hi everyone, Im having extreme problems with my ping in games such as cs and css i have a 8mb package as its the highest i can get and my line connections at 3.3mb but im still gettings pings on 70 in the game. Ive tried different methods that ive found of the net like tcp optimiser and what not but these havent worked for me, was also told that lowering the priority of steme and the hl2.exe file to low would increace my ping, this also didnt help.

Now the part you all will laugh at and tell me to change is this: Im with AOL, yes i know crap service and what not, but ive never had no problem until now and id really like to stay with them. I kind of have to for another 6 months so ive no choice.

Can anyone help? My mates who are on the like of orange are getting pings of 35-45 and it breaks my heart as they are on like 2mb lines :(

Permabanned
You could get interleaving turned off on your line but your ping wouldn't significantly drop. mabye 10/20ms ?, also you may have a bad line in your house. On that note I like cake!

Permabanned
start > run > type cmd > tracert <ip goes here>, after that it will display the routing table all the way to the server. What you're looking for are abnormally high latencies and timeouts during the tracert

img

img

Associate
doesnt matter if you have 8meg or 2meg adsl for your latency anyway.

Make sure nothing running on your pc causing it. run msconfig and turn off startup items to test

Associate
OP
well i got in contact with aol again and this time they said they can turn the interleaving down a stage to give me better ping, so ill hope all goes well. theres a lot of difference from 45-70 tbh. you notice more glitching.

Soldato
This is a long shot and it has no real bearing on the quality of your actual line or indeed your line stats as they stand but......

I'm on AOL Platinum 8Mb ADSLMax as well.

I play Day of Defeat online and I noticed my ping lowered if I connected to the net without the AOL software.

I did a step by step guide on this in a thread a while ago HERE

It may not help any, but its worth a go.

I know that certainly for clan matches, I always logged on via this method to have the ping drop even if it was marginal.

I'm lucky enough to have my ADSLMax with AOL sat looking pretty good, I'm syncing at 8128/448 and from the past few speedtests I have done, I'm getting anything between 6.5-7.5Mbps figures, so I guess my line stats are good.

Ping in DoD on most UK servers is fine. My clan server gives me pings of anything between 25-35 normally.

Ping/lag within a server can encompass a whole variable of things. It can sometimes be down to individual server boxes/game company hosting if you experience bad ping, are you playing on a few select servers exclusively and have any other players reported ping and lag probs within any of them?.

What are you using to connect?. Router or a USB modem?.

Soldato
You also have to consider the server specs, the time at which you are playing (ie peak and off peak) and the location of the server which you are trying to connect to.

If you refresh a new list and sort by ping, you should have some in the 20's,30's etc running down. :)

Soldato
ISP's have no control over the line, yes they have there own equipment at the exchanges but ADSL is still a contended service which is quickly becomming saturated with the ever growing demand.

a lot of people still think that because there package is quoted as being 8Mb/s thats what they will receive, far from it the ADSL packages only quote the theoretical maximum the line can support and users wont ever get near it.

Associate
OP
I know i wont get full strenth hence getting 3.3 mb line like. but on the server side of things, i tried both UK servers and US servers and both have a same resulting ping for some reason.

Associate
its not just AOL its on BT aswell in certain area's I now get a ping of 60 to 80 in cs & css as of 2 weeks ago. I have a decent router a nice little netgear & I'm not wireless so its not that. I have friends on BT and theres vary, some are like me on this 60 up over ping & some have what I used to have 30 pings in games. I live less than a mile from the exchange. My m8 lives basically next to *** exchange & he gets 60 aswell so its down to bt here sadly. On about BT that homehub will stay in *** box as its a pile of U know what.

Back
Top Bottom