Dell 2407WFP - Tempted by price drop but uncertain

Soldato
Hello lads,

I've been waiting to get an HD screen for a while and I must say nothing has tempted me as much as this. It meets what I am looking for in most criteria, though lacks some things I desire. If it had HDMI with 1:1 pixel mapping at 1080p (even that on DVI would do) then I think I would definitely take the plunge now. But I know there are other screens coming that will have this (such as the revised BenQ FP241W). But this isn't essential for me, and my budget is limited to around £500 at the very maximum.

So what's going though my mind is that I am satisfied with the current asking price for this model. But on the other hand, we are very close to the January Sales season. If I could get this screen for £400 delivered or less then, I would prefer to hold out. To me, that's a lot of money (beer tokens). So how likely do you think it would be for this screen to drop to that price (seeing as it can already be obtained for £485 next-day fully insured delivered on the web)? Also, the BenQ may have issues but is generally considered a superior model to the Dell; could this also come down to a sub-£500 price anytime soon? Finally, there are new and improved 24" (and bigger) screens coming soon. Will any of these be in the price zone I have mentioned?

I know there have been a number of topics on this monitor here, but I didn't want to drag any other members' threads off-topic and reckoned there would be a significant number of other people reading here with very similar ideas to what I've been thinking.

Any help offered in my decision making would be appreciated! ;)

Associate
Duel said:
Hello lads,

I've been waiting to get an HD screen for a while and I must say nothing has tempted me as much as this. It meets what I am looking for in most criteria, though lacks some things I desire. If it had HDMI with 1:1 pixel mapping at 1080p (even that on DVI would do) then I think I would definitely take the plunge now. But I know there are other screens coming that will have this (such as the revised BenQ FP241W). But this isn't essential for me, and my budget is limited to around £500 at the very maximum.

So what's going though my mind is that I am satisfied with the current asking price for this model. But on the other hand, we are very close to the January Sales season. If I could get this screen for £400 delivered or less then, I would prefer to hold out. To me, that's a lot of money (beer tokens). So how likely do you think it would be for this screen to drop to that price (seeing as it can already be obtained for £485 next-day fully insured delivered on the web)? Also, the BenQ may have issues but is generally considered a superior model to the Dell; could this also come down to a sub-£500 price anytime soon? Finally, there are new and improved 24" (and bigger) screens coming soon. Will any of these be in the price zone I have mentioned?

I know there have been a number of topics on this monitor here, but I didn't want to drag any other members' threads off-topic and reckoned there would be a significant number of other people reading here with very similar ideas to what I've been thinking.

Any help offered in my decision making would be appreciated! ;)

Hello :)

My monitor turned up today (cheers Overclockers)
All I can say is it is STUNNING !!!

Get one ;)

Andy

Soldato
Oh my GOD! I bought one of these for my boss at work two weeks ago. For £750!!! It was stunning. (Not that price mattered, was on the company credit card ;) )

I saw it go on special offer straight after quite a bit cheaper, but this new offer is unbeleivable! £527 delivered!

I was going to post whether to get this or the Benq. I just gave up. This is what credit cards are for. Just bought the Dell for my rig at home. Got to get a bigger desk now!

Thank you OcUK

Soldato
OP
Thanks for suggestions guys, but I'm not feeling rushed by the TWO price. I've seen it significantly cheaper elsewhere with better sales bonuses (faster delivery/longer warranty). I know this is a classy screen but won't this range come down even further as it is being replaced by the newcomer of the Dell 24" range?

Associate
Duel said:
Thanks for suggestions guys, but I'm not feeling rushed by the TWO price. I've seen it significantly cheaper elsewhere with better sales bonuses (faster delivery/longer warranty). I know this is a classy screen but won't this range come down even further as it is being replaced by the newcomer of the Dell 24" range?

Replaced?? Is this news i`ve missed of new screens in the pipeline? How much have you seen it for duel? i`m intrigued.....so close to ordering :cool:

Associate
I think he is either starting a rumour or he rushed his sentence which then suggests that Dell are bringing out a new 24" model, I took it that he meant the price will surely come down further on the Dell in future when they announce a new model.

And how can you get faster than "next day" through OCUK?

The "elsewhere" is not a retail/e-tail shop and whilst I was looking at them seriously a few weeks back, I think OCUK is now the safer bet with the price being so low. OCUK will honour the Distance Selling Regs, the other sellers he refers to don't have to.

But I could be wrong...

Last edited:
Associate
Duel said:

Dunno I think its quite hard to beat next day deliver and 4 years on site warranty ;)

Finally ordered it tonight after hovering over the confirm order button for like 20 minutes :D

Soldato
If I was getting a 2407WFP right now, I think I'd go with OcUK since the price difference isn't exactly huge. When I bought my 2007WFP though, the price difference was about £80 (299 vs 380) so I went down that less conventional route, and I have no complaints so far, but you're only going to find out how good the service really is when your screen goes wrong and you have to rely on that person to still be around, still selling screens and still interested in getting your screen swapped for you. I don't think it's worth taking that extra risk for just £25.

Soldato
OP
I went for this monitor in the end and did go through another retailer.

They offered a zero dead pixel policy and the warranty is direct with Dell anyway so it seemed a better deal overall. Out of all the well-known online shops OcUK offered the best deal. But the company I have purchased from have an excellent reputation, albeit not so famous. I can't be 100% certain of this until I receive the product and see for myself but I am extremely confident they are as good as they seem to be. As for the next-day delivery, I know that OcUK provide that too, but I just thought it should be mentioned that it was included.

I like OcUK, have bought a number of products from here and think their forums are excellent. But tbh I have very rarely seen a TWO special deal to provide a combination of the cheapest price and reliability that has been superior to another etailer on the web in terms of the overall equation in an item I've been looking for. That said, they are one of my favourites of the larger firms.

With regards to the new Dell model, I spent hours trawling through the web and am sure I came across a new model, which was sited at various websites. I don't know whether or not it was official but surely with the current screen on sale and in wake of new models from their competitors they will produce an improved screen in this category. Proper HDCP and 1:1 pixel mapping across the board, as well as a HDMI interface, will probably be their priorities I would assume. These are certainly what the consumers seem to be demanding at least, it doesn't mean that these wants are attended to of course. ;)

Last edited:

Ste

Ste

Soldato
You'll be a bit miffed if it goes wrong in it's third year though =)

Why HDMI input is important to people on a 24" screen I'll never know, once you're sitting 3ft from it you can't see anything between DVDs and 1080p anyway!

And yes I have one (well, an '05)

Soldato
Ste said:
Why HDMI input is important to people on a 24" screen I'll never know, once you're sitting 3ft from it you can't see anything between DVDs and 1080p anyway!
I can tell the difference at 3 ft, even on a 20" screen (between DVD and 1080p downscaled to fit a 1680*1050 screen)

Back
Top Bottom