Wii becomes UK's fastest-selling home console ever

Associate
To be fair to Sony and Microsoft the game industry is growing with each generating so something new now should easily outsell something like a snes or ps1. Factor in the relatively high launch supply and it was a bit of a given that would break the record. Had the 360 launched with that many units they would have been sold too, same goes for the ps3 when it launches.

Not to take anything away from Nintendo, the wii looks to be a great success and I can’t wait to get one it’s just news stories like this seem to be marketing spin more than anything else.

Associate
Cronox said:
To be fair to Sony and Microsoft the game industry is growing with each generating so something new now should easily outsell something like a snes or ps1. Factor in the relatively high launch supply and it was a bit of a given that would break the record. Had the 360 launched with that many units they would have been sold too, same goes for the ps3 when it launches.

Not to take anything away from Nintendo, the wii looks to be a great success and I can’t wait to get one it’s just news stories like this seem to be marketing spin more than anything else.
Exactly my thoughts - if Sony can get more PS3's to market at launch than there were Wii's, then it will become the fastest selling console.

Associate
thor said:
Exactly my thoughts - if Sony can get more PS3's to market at launch than there were Wii's, then it will become the fastest selling console.

I honestly don't think it would.
Not if it is released at the £425 price point.

It is March time and when you exclude Christmas shoppers from the equation, there are very few people that will be willing to shell out £425 on a console.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Cronox said:
Had the 360 launched with that many units they would have been sold too, same goes for the ps3 when it launches.

Who knows how many the wii or 360 would have sold if the supply was able to match the demand, it's all conjecture. What matters is they sold twice as many as their last console and have set a new record.

I'm not convinced the ps3 will beat it, March is not a great launch time unlike two weeks before Christmas and it's damn expensive.

I'm still not going to buy any of them but good on Nintendo I say.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
The reason its the biggest selling console ever is because its affordable to most parents ( my parents would NEVER buy me a £300 / £425 Xbox 360 / PS3.

:)

Soldato
Cronox said:
To be fair to Sony and Microsoft the game industry is growing with each generating so something new now should easily outsell something like a snes or ps1.
Really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console_sales

Nintendo Entertainment System: 60 million
Super Nintendo Entertainment System: 49 million
Nintendo 64: 32.93 million
Nintendo GameCube: 21.20 million
Nintendo Wii: 1 million

Nintendo Game Boy: 69.42 million
Nintendo Game Boy Color: 49.54 million
Nintendo Game Boy Advance: 76.79 million
Nintendo DS: 26.82 million

Sega Master System: 13 million
Sega Mega Drive/Sega Genesis: 29 million
Sega CD: 6 million
Sega Saturn: 10 million
Sega Dreamcast: 10.6 million

Sega Game Gear: 8.65 million

Sony PlayStation: 102.49 million
Sony PlayStation 2: 103.69 million
Sony PlayStation 3: 377,482

Sony PlayStation Portable: 17.03 million

Microsoft Xbox: 24 million
Microsoft Xbox 360: 7 million
The PS2 has only just recently manage to surpass the sales of the PS1. Nintendo have never managed to recapture the success of the NES, and sales have diminished with every new console. The Dreamcast didn't sell as many units as the Master System (nevermind the runaway Mega Drive). Both DS's combined haven't even sold as many units as the original GBA did, in about the same space of time. The 360 hasn't even sold as many units as the Game Gear managed.

The entire market share is probably growing slightly over time, but it's not been the massive rise people think it has, and recreating a success really isn't as clear-cut as it may seem.

(The biggest suprise on that list has to be the PSP for me. For a system that's supposedly been a flop, 17 million units is pretty impressive).

Permabanned
Goatboy said:
Who knows how many the wii or 360 would have sold if the supply was able to match the demand, it's all conjecture. What matters is they sold twice as many as their last console and have set a new record.

I'm not convinced the ps3 will beat it, March is not a great launch time unlike two weeks before Christmas and it's damn expensive.

I'm still not going to buy any of them but good on Nintendo I say.

I don't agree that the demand for the Wii = the demand for the 360/PS3.
I feel that the Wii has a far greater user base because of the accessibility of the games and the method of control and the lower price point.

People who have historically shown zero interest in gaming all love the Wii.
Hence demand for the Wii is imho far greater than for the PS3 (even I am iffy about getting the PS3 on price alone).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Weebull said:
Really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console_sales

The PS2 has only just recently manage to surpass the sales of the PS1. Nintendo have never managed to recapture the success of the NES, and sales have diminished with every new console. The Dreamcast didn't sell as many units as the Master System (nevermind the runaway Mega Drive). Both DS's combined haven't even sold as many units as the original GBA did, in about the same space of time. The 360 hasn't even sold as many units as the Game Gear managed.

good numbers.

if you trace -

NES+SEGA = 73million
SNES+Mega = 78million
SAT+PS1+N64 = 145 million
PS2+XBOX+DC+GC = 158million

so we have seen virtually double the quantity of sales since the NES days.

also, the GBA has been out for 6 years almost, the DS only for 2 years and we still havent seen a genuine Pokemon game yet!

i have no doubt the GBA sales were boosted MASSIVELY by pokemon, the same will happen with the DS>

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom