I never owned a TurboGrafx console who made it?

Associate
yeah i though HudsonSoft but it seems it was a collaboration between them and NEC according to Wiki.
Think most people know it as coming from Hudson though, as did a lot of the games.

Soldato
I always knew it by the name PC Engine, rather than TurboGrafx...

Wow, reading the Wikipedia page, they also talk about the FM Towns. I remember reading about that in ACE Magazine when I was a kid. Blimey, I'm getting all nostalgic suddenly!

Associate
Hi,

Showing my age now but.... I had a pc engine and then got the CD-Rom add on followed by a supergrfx which was a beefed up Pc engine with better graphics. I loved the pc engine so much i even bought the handheld version when it was released all on import as NEC/Hudson never released in the UK. It was PC Engine in Japan and Turbografx in the USA :)

Probably my favourite console of all time and the best platform for shoot em ups ever period. Gates of thunder and Lords of thunder on PC Engine CD-Rom were immense.

Cheers,
Hugest

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I remember seeing a white pc engine with cd-rom add on in a local shop about 14/15 years ago, it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen and I never saw another.

PC Engine LT has to be the finest looking console ever made, imagine if they could do the same with current gen systems.

Associate
It also had the best version of street fighter 2 on any home console at the time thats what made me HAVE to buy it, ahhh the days when I would spend hundreds of pounds on a console to play 1 game

Soldato
Hugest_UK said:
Hi,

Showing my age now but.... I had a pc engine and then got the CD-Rom add on followed by a supergrfx which was a beefed up Pc engine with better graphics. I loved the pc engine so much i even bought the handheld version when it was released all on import as NEC/Hudson never released in the UK. It was PC Engine in Japan and Turbografx in the USA :)

Probably my favourite console of all time and the best platform for shoot em ups ever period. Gates of thunder and Lords of thunder on PC Engine CD-Rom were immense.

Cheers,
Hugest

I remember the first time I saw the pc engine and cd-rom add-on in computer&video games magazine, I use to drool over it for hours. How much did you pay for the total system? IIRC The Pc Engine was about £180 and the CD-Rom system £550 which meant about £750 for the complete system and this was back in the late 80's when £750 was a lot more money. What games did you get on CD-ROM? I remember streetfighter 1 was the main selling title on it. And as for the supergrafix there was only about 3-4 games that came out for it wasn't there?

Soldato
jimmyjimmyo said:
It also had the best version of street fighter 2 on any home console at the time thats what made me HAVE to buy it, ahhh the days when I would spend hundreds of pounds on a console to play 1 game

Streetfighter 2? don't you mean streetfighter 1? It was the snes that had the best SF2 and by that time the pc engine was pretty much dead.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
So has any of the games that have been released yet on the wii Virtual Console been the cd roms games or are they just the hucards games?

Even tho i had never heard of the this console unit it was metioned for the wii Virtual Console from the sound of what you guys are saying we should be expecting some gem's to pop up on the Virtual Console. :D

Soldato
XPE said:
So has any of the games that have been released yet on the wii Virtual Console been the cd roms games or are they just the hucards games?

Even tho i had never heard of the this console unit it was metioned for the wii Virtual Console from the sound of what you guys are saying we should be expecting some gem's to pop up on the Virtual Console. :D

I imagine it will be the hucards there wasn't that many games released for the cd-rom. Games to look out for are Vigilante, Legend of Tom Ohara, R-Type 1&2, Galaga 90, Outrun and Jackie Chans Kung-Fu

Associate
Hi,

How much did you pay for the total system?

I can not remember how much it all was but im sure it was cheaper than £750 :eek: LoL

And as for the supergrafix there was only about 3-4 games that came out for it wasn't there?

The Supergrafx only had about 6 games in the end what a flop that was.

What games did you get on CD-ROM?

Games I had on CD-Rom included Red Alert, Lords of thunder, Gates of thunder, Side Arms, Dracula X (argued to be the best castlevania game on any system) i had a few RPG's but as it was all in jap i dont remeber them too well.

Streetfighter 2? don't you mean streetfighter 1? It was the snes that had the best SF2 and by that time the pc engine was pretty much dead.

No streetfighter 2 was on PC engine on a special card that had extra memory. PC Engine was arguably better than the SNES version but the SNES version had better sound. :D

Yeah all games will be hucard games: Also look out for any of the gunhead trilogy of vertical shooters. Gunhead (Blazing lasers in the US), Super star soldier (Gunhead 2), Alien and Devil Crush Pinball, Dragon Spirit to name a few.

Cheers,
Hugest

Associate
magick said:

If you ever played the PCengine version of SF2 CE then you would know what I mean it was the closest to the arcade version unlike the snes version which had easier AI so was more suited to the home player :D

Associate
Owned a Core Grafix at one point but decided to sell it on when selling my consoles a couple of years ago. R-Type, SF2, New Zealand Story, Bonk's Adventure, Bomberman, Devil/Alien Crush, Gunhed all spring to mind as worth playing.

Also went to the Game On exhibition at the Science Museum, where they have the original PC Engine and Super CD-ROM2 to play on. Although it's only Fighting Street (Street Fighter) that can be played.

EDIT - Just noticed some of the games mentioned above already.

Last edited:
Associate
Never realised it had so few games :eek:
That said it's got probably the best ratio of all time classics in that case - SF2, Super Star Soldier, R Type 1 & 2, Dracula X - 35 - 50 % classic games ?

Back
Top Bottom