Crysis delayed again. Possible 2008 release

B12

B12

Permabanned
Excellent news

Obviously this game is far from stable and the vids we have been tantalised with were cherry picked.

I've bought far to much software in the past and recently (FSX) that has been rushed out of the door to meet deadlines and seen the disappointment all round for that, it seems to me, PC games need more development time than consoles, but ultimately they are worth it if the game producers and the backers like UbiSoft can go the distance.

In the mean time, Bioshock is still on my most wanted list and from a stable software producer with a known track record of getting games out with minimal bugs and early patches if its needed.

Crysis, well, its probably better this game is delayed, it will have more play testing on DX10 and be more able to support SLI and dual/quad core, some things are worth waiting for.

As for STALKER, that has been in development for a little too long, but hopefully it will be a great game and the software company and distributer are rewarded, otherwise thats another nail in the coffin for PC games.

Soldato
I'm not that bothered. I was thinking of Crysis as nothing more than a DX10 tech demo anyway. Wasn't it only supposed to have 8 hours of gameplay, or something absurd? Also, it looked pretty amazing running in DX9 anyway.

Personally, I'll be staying away from Vista/DX10 for another 12 months or so - give it time to settle down and for games to actually come out that make good use of it. And the best part is that you can get some killer deals on "old tech" stuff like single core CPU's and mid-range DX9 cards, that will run everything perfectly fine for another 12 months anyway. And if something comes out that is DX10 only.....well they can stick it anyway :)

Oh, and HL2 absolutely destroys FarCry in every department possible ;)

Associate
Fubar said:
Or just move over to the consoles. Or give up waiting for games.

You can't play decent fps on consoles. They suck. You need a mouse. Or strafe a lot and use auto aim like a nine yr old.

Get into mods instead of waiting for new games. Mods rule.

Associate
Not so long ago, after the news of the previous Crysis delay... on this very forum... I made a very quick, very unassuming comment that I hoped this game would not become another STALKER.

To say I was flamed would be an understatement... fanboys across the globe fell upon my old bones and took me to task for compairing the 'mighty' Crysis to the now second hand STALKER.

Well, a month later, and here we are using the words Crysis and STALKER, in the same sentance!

I'm not saying that Crysis has the same troubles that STALKER has... just that games get delayed, and let's hope Crysis doesn't go down the same road of looking amazing now... but pretty poor come 2008.

Soldato
OP
I'm not flaming you Pablo but saying that Crysis will look "poor" in 2008 is just plain silly. To my knowledge there is no other FPS's on the horizon (perhaps UT2007) that even comes close to comparing to Crysis in the visual department and even the size of the gameworld. It's also highly unlikely that one will be announced soon and shipped within a year.

Besides, I can only see Crytek working on the graphics and increase the visual effects more. Anyway, not really that bothered. Stalker, Assassins Creed and various other 360 titles is going to keep us busy next year.

Associate
regulus said:
I'm not flaming you Pablo but saying that Crysis will look "poor" in 2008 is just plain silly. To my knowledge there is no other FPS's on the horizon (perhaps UT2007) that even comes close to comparing to Crysis in the visual department and even the size of the gameworld. It's also highly unlikely that one will be announced soon and shipped within a year.

Besides, I can only see Crytek working on the graphics and increase the visual effects more. Anyway, not really that bothered. Stalker, Assassins Creed and various other 360 is going to keep us busy next year.

Point taken... perhaps 'poor' was a bad choice of words... maybe average.

Permabanned
Curio said:
I'm not that bothered. I was thinking of Crysis as nothing more than a DX10 tech demo anyway. Wasn't it only supposed to have 8 hours of gameplay, or something absurd? Also, it looked pretty amazing running in DX9 anyway.

Personally, I'll be staying away from Vista/DX10 for another 12 months or so - give it time to settle down and for games to actually come out that make good use of it. And the best part is that you can get some killer deals on "old tech" stuff like single core CPU's and mid-range DX9 cards, that will run everything perfectly fine for another 12 months anyway. And if something comes out that is DX10 only.....well they can stick it anyway :)

Oh, and HL2 absolutely destroys FarCry in every department possible ;)

totally agree with pretty much everything you said there, except HL2 being good, biggest letdown in a game ever.

Soldato
tomanders91 said:
totally agree with pretty much everything you said there, except HL2 being good, biggest letdown in a game ever.

don't quite hold such an extreme view of it. but, certainly along with Doom3, it never lived up to the hype when I finally got hold of it.

Associate
n3crius said:
don't quite hold such an extreme view of it. but, certainly along with Doom3, it never lived up to the hype when I finally got hold of it.
I personally thought HL2 was and still think it is the best FPS out there.
The sense of immersion in the world was fantastic.
There were only 2 bad things about it.

Couldn't play it the first couple of days after I bought it due to steam.

The ending - didn't want it to end

Associate
Not suprised tbh, I'm a professional games programmer and I see first hand why this is happening. Developers are having to live with a huge influx of simultaneous changes in technology. For example:

• Multicore processors (x360/PS3/PC(C2D/AM2)) - Multithreaded architecture in codebase required.
  • DirectX 10 + Vista - New systems to adapt to.
  • High Definition support (1080p) - Struggling to get frame rates acceptable while keeping the graphic detail high.
  • Limited Disc Space - Ultra high resolution textures, HD FMV and high detail poly meshes. x360 + PC stuck with DVD as standard, PS3 gives a bit of breathing space but consoles are supposed to last 4-5 years...

I'm sure theres more i've forgotten. One bad trend is the manhours required to develop games have been forever climbing, costs of mainstream games have reached tens of millions of pounds. How long before it all gets out of hand?

On the bright side of things the games industry takes in more than the movie industry and the demand for games has reached new records. Even people who rarely touch computer games are venturing into gaming territory with the Wii.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Pitspawn said:
Not suprised tbh, I'm a professional games programmer and I see first hand why this is happening. Developers are having to live with a huge influx of simultaneous changes in technology. For example:

• Multicore processors (x360/PS3/PC(C2D/AM2)) - Multithreaded architecture in codebase required.
  • DirectX 10 + Vista - New systems to adapt to.
  • High Definition support (1080p) - Struggling to get frame rates acceptable while keeping the graphic detail high.
  • Limited Disc Space - Ultra high resolution textures, HD FMV and high detail poly meshes. x360 + PC stuck with DVD as standard, PS3 gives a bit of breathing space but consoles are supposed to last 4-5 years...

I'm sure theres more i've forgotten. One bad trend is the manhours required to develop games have been forever climbing, costs of mainstream games have reached tens of millions of pounds. How long before it all gets out of hand?

On the bright side of things the games industry takes in more than the movie industry and the demand for games has reached new records. Even people who rarely touch computer games are venturing into gaming territory with the Wii.

Do you work on the 360 platform? Always wanted to know from someone with firsthand experience how much further the 360 can be pushed when looking at Gears of War

Associate
Do you work on the 360 platform? Always wanted to know from someone with firsthand experience how much further the 360 can be pushed when looking at Gears of War

Working on CMR6 for the X360/PS3/PC, not doing Wii yet though ^_^ It was quite a privillage to be in contact with the PS3 before it was released commercially anywhere in the world. The wireless SIXAXIS controller was quite fun although I still prefer the feel of the x360's controller :)

To answer your question, there are still large improvements to be made. Nextgen consoles all have multiple cores and HT technology, and parallel programming is something even the most experienced game programmers are having to learn from scratch. Problems involve having to break problems into smaller tasks and most importantly staying thread safe (need to lock+unlock write privilages to resources to stop a read being corrupted by another threads write)

Right now most developers are utilising parallel processing by dedicating entire threads to whole subsystems like Physics/AI/Audio, this is quite wasteful. But with time comes experience, and so improved engineering skills :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom