Media sharing from pc to 360?

Associate
I use a program called TVersity.

Its still very much in its infancy, it does crash every now and then and theres little things like the config program never shuts down cleanly and requires killing from the task manager.

However, if used with the latest ffdshow, it can transcode pretty much everything for use with the xbox 360. Although there are still a few divx's and xvids which decode fine on the computer but not over the network to the xbox, still trying to crack that one.

A side benefit is it also support streaming to PSP and other devices so I can watch the odd movie in bed too :)

Other alternatives are:

Windows Media Centre edition with additional software (as per the instructions on the xbox360 GUI), Windows Media player 11, but don't know if this transcodes anything other than Windows Media Video files and apparently Vista comes with all the gubbins necessary to do it aswell, but its a bit early to upgrade ot Vista at the mo.

Last edited:
Associate
I never could get on with TVersity, but I know people do like it.

OP, if you have Media Centre it's pretty easy. Use TRANSCODE 360 to play everything other than wmv. The microsoft.com site has info on firewalls etc.

If not, then you can stream wmv and music via media player 11. If on an older version of WMP then try Windows Media Connect for pictures and music.

Search these forums for this stuff, there should be lots of info. Or google them, and use the main microsoft.com site.

Also remember that since the last update the 360 will play wmv from a usb key or dvd.

Associate
Reality Bites said:
are you able to stream movies etc to?

Yes, as of a update a few months ago you should be able to stream wmv using wmp11 in XP and video from media center edition (or the vista beta) has been their since launch. For other video formats see the tips above.

Associate
Reality Bites said:
i'm trying to have a go with TVersity.....having problems getting the xbox to connect to my pc.

Wondering if it's a firewall issue.

Make sure you've added mediaserver.exe to xp's firewall exception list.

Thats all I had to do, well that and make sure media players sharing is turned off and you remove and readd the pc to the xbox if you already have it connected.

Back
Top Bottom