Some honest opinions on large widescreen monitors for gaming plz

Soldato
OP
Ofc I am, Im floating around reading anything that comes this topics way :D

One of the reasons Im really after the high resolution, low blurring and large size is that the large CRT I have is actually pretty good. It'll do 85Hz at 1600x1200 for example, however, a TFT would suit me, as it'd give me a lot more room on my desk (Its a small work desk).
I dont really want a smaller screen though, or a lower resolution, as it kinda kills half the point of changing to tft, if I have to accept an inferior picture, and the low response time is of course very important for gaming, and whilst I could get a screen with 1600x1200 for a slightly more normal price, I wouldnt be able to get the slightly higher immersiveness that widescreen offers.
The Dell seemed like the best at the time, because Im hardly losing any top end resolution - 2048x1536 vs 1920x1200, it conforms to widescreen, the latest revisions are meant to have very good screens, it has inputs so i could plug in my xbox, and then play sound through my pc using the optical out on my xbox cable, through to the optical in on my xfi front panel, then to my hi-fi amp and speakers, and I'd still gain room on my desk. I'd definately take it, however, the £620 is a bit hideous, so now Im being a lot more open.

Last edited:
Associate
Haha, ok, just making sure.

I am looking at the NEC and now the ViewSonic VX2025wm which is meant to be good for gaming as well.

Why is it so hard to choose!

aaazza

Associate
I bought myself the NEC LCD20WMGX2 (I now live in Canada :D ) a couple of weeks ago...it's the same panel except has a few extra features...with an extra cost (although it was on sale for a good price). I have it set up next to my Samsung 172X and there is absolutely no comparison...the NEC is amazing, much better in every way!!

Currently using it for PC, Xbox 360 and PS2.

I play a lot of FPS, and the first time i used this monitor i had my best round on CS:Source ever...about 52-7, and my scores have been consistently better since switching from my old monitor...so i'd say it's pretty good for gaming :D

Oh and no dead pixels or backlight bleeding.

Associate
Ah well, I'll soon find out, read about the OcUK last ship dates before Christmas and just thought, sod it I'll order the NEC.

Should be here Friday.

Parents are going to get a shock after moaning at me to not bring my CRT home at Christmas :D!

Thanks for the advice all.

aaazza

Caporegime
aaazza said:
Thanks for the advice all.

aaazza

you wont be disappointed

to really make you think "holy ****" i recommend the Any bully on it. Absolutely awesome colours and really does the PQ on the screen justice. As for movie playback being a flaw, balderdash, you'll see for yourself soon enough ;)

Associate
MrLOL said:
you wont be disappointed

to really make you think "holy ****" i recommend the Any bully on it. Absolutely awesome colours and really does the PQ on the screen justice. As for movie playback being a flaw, balderdash, you'll see for yourself soon enough ;)

Exactly what I needed to hear for the justification of my purchase :D!

Forgive my stupidity but Any bully?

aaazza

Caporegime
aaazza said:
Any bully?

aaazza

New film out called "the ant bully" its animated Toy Story style, with voice overs from Nicholas cage among others.

The animation is superb, and the colours have to be seen to be believed, ive got a Region 1 DVD of it, and its not a particularly good film, but the colours have to be seen to be believed.

Associate
aaazza said:
Ah ok. Thanks for the info. Just out of interest, do you do a lot of gaming on the screen? And, do you use the 'Advanced DVM' features?

aaazza

Nothing but gaming really. 2142 is the current most played.

DVM I turned off, it annoys me and makes me think something is broken.

Associate
Fars said:
Nothing but gaming really. 2142 is the current most played.

DVM I turned off, it annoys me and makes me think something is broken.

Cool, thanks for the info. I got it today, and I have to say it is very nice. Bright and vivid. I started to play with the settings but at the moment I'm using ADVM off, brightness 70%, contrast default, standard mode and RGB on sRGB.

aaazza

Soldato
I found myself reducing the brightness steadily until I settled at about 25. Going back to anything over 50 is krazy-bright. Default contrast, DVM off and Native (or calibrated) colour are the way to go, IMO. :)

It's weird how the "zero" point for the Sharpness control is 16.6% or whatever. Anything less seems to apply some kind of manky softening.

Last edited:
Associate
Has anybody removed the stand on the monitor and is it easy to do? I think its just two screws. I need to take it on the train soon and I think it won't be too bad to carry the screen if I just take the stand off.

aaazza

Back
Top Bottom