Medieval 2 Total War vs Rome Total War

Associate
Who prefers Rome over Medieval?

I've been playing Medieval for just over a week now, and to be honest, I think I had more fun with Rome Total War. I'm holding off on my definitive opinion until after the Christmas holidays, and have had the proper time to really get into Medi 2... but my initial impressions have left me a little home sick for Rome and the House of Bruti!

Soldato
I'm still not sure, one thing I prefered from Rome was the big factional differences, but then I didn't like playing as barbarian nations with inferior troops and infrastructure much.

Don
philstanbridge said:
I preferred Rome 'Total Realism' to how Medieval is now, but I have to say MTWII offers loads more potential. It's a massive game. Plus the graphical engine is more advanced. So my vote goes for MTWII.

couldnt have put it better myself :)

Stelly

Associate
OP
philstanbridge said:
Plus the graphical engine is more advanced. So my vote goes for MTWII.

It's common form these days for each 'remake' of a game to have better graphics and all that rhubarb. I was going along the line of how it feels in relation to our old Roman fave!

Like I said, I haven't really had the time over the last week to spend some quality time with my English Knights... maybe during the Christmas holidays my loyalty will change from the mighty Romans to the stiff upper-lipped Medieval English.

Either way, it all good times!!!

Man of Honour
Pablo72 said:
It's common form these days for each 'remake' of a game to have better graphics and all that rhubarb. I was going along the line of how it feels in relation to our old Roman fave!

Like I said, I haven't really had the time over the last week to spend some quality time with my English Knights... maybe during the Christmas holidays my loyalty will change from the mighty Romans to the stiff upper-lipped Medieval English.

Either way, it all good times!!!

Graphics and sound effects aside, it's comparable to RTW, even with the major bugs that still need fixing. I'm playing with Lusted's LTC mod and this is actually a vast improvement over the stock game, but even this is being tweaked constantly. With this mod installed, it's almost comparable to the Total Realism 'quality' of RTW. So taking that into account, even at such an early stage, MTWII is a vast improvement.

Associate
OP
I'm not that worried about the bugs, to be honest... most games have some form of bug. The ones in Medi 2 haven't really hampered my enjoyment... yet!

I might give that Mod a try, though.

Associate
Do you guys reckon the mechanics of MTW2 are more akin to the original Medieval as opposed to Rome? It's just that, graphics aside, I had a lot more fun with Medieval than I did with Rome :confused:

They both ate up my time, but Medieval seemed to engross me more.

Man of Honour
hp01jpc said:
Do you guys reckon the mechanics of MTW2 are more akin to the original Medieval as opposed to Rome? It's just that, graphics aside, I had a lot more fun with Medieval than I did with Rome :confused:

They both ate up my time, but Medieval seemed to engross me more.

Most definitely. The entire structure of the game is different to Rome. There are endless similarities between the original Medieval and the new one. But everything (imho) has improved.

Associate
RTW gets my vote. I don't know why, but Medieval 2 hasn't really sucked me in like Rome did. Loved the Sassanid and Persian factions in RTW, and most of the factions in ME2 just seem way to similar.

Associate
OP
Like I stated earlier, I haven't got fully into Medi 2 yet, however, this hasn't gripped me quite like Rome. I can see many similar aspects, getting missions from the the Pope, rather than the Senate, naval battles are the same, etc. Yet, I'm not fully there with this one.

In fact, while playing last night, I had an urge to slap in the Rome disk, and play a few turns on that!

However, come the New Year, I'm sure I'll be a different man... and embracing Medi 2 like a dreadful fanboy should!!!!!

Man of Honour
Lets not forget that Medieval II is still at a very early stage - it's had an intrim patch to stop the hordes complaining, but it really needs some professional attention in the new year. Then we will start to see major overhauls. I hear a few people are working on a Rome conversion (using this engine) as it goes. Would be interesting.

Caporegime
Sorry guys - but this is way off-topic, but really want to get into the Total War series before I get around to getting Medieval 2. Got the Total Wars Eras pack and hoping to get engrossed during Christmas, but need some advice...

Would you mind replying to this thread?

Cheers

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
Medieval 2 absolutely crushes Rome. :D I can't remember the last time a game glued me to my computer for hours on end like this does. I didn't really like Rome so much, I only played about one and a half campaigns before I was fed up.

Soldato
I obviously dont have enough power in my computer to run this full out. I did find one thing annoying and that was I was denied reinforcements because my pc wasnt powerful enough.

Fair enough but they could have said that before I started a massive attack and lost my town because I had no back up.

Any settings to change to stop that from happening. I did have the `large option` on and reduced this to normal.

No lagg or bugs to report of and enjoying this a lot more than RTW (Although I thought that was fantastic too).

Associate
well so far Ive had nowt but problems (not that ive put much time into fixing em), Ive played total war since shogun was first released and this is the first one Ive every had issues with. Sega aint my favourite company at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom