Studio shots

Permabanned
A few studio shots from college yesterday of my friend. Check out the whole gallery at the link below. :)

http://cwinhall.zenfolio.com/p143265746/

p13320330-3.jpg

p462445033-3.jpg

Soldato
To be critical, i dont like the way you positioned that flash behind her. I dont think the glowing effect works to well, i think it over exposes sides of her face, and creates to much glare.

Associate
yep have to agree with ^^

the hair light is just too strong - bit overpowering. Its a great thing to have but it does distract from the face a little. exposure in the 1st is spot on.

Also to be critic I only personally find numbers 3,9,11 to be the ones that I would keep. I find some of the composures/angles not to work and some shots taken to catch a models bad side during changing on expression.

If It was me then I would personally cut them down to them 3 but thats just what I would do.

I also agree with the lighting coment mentioned above. Its blown out the details around the hair. I would have used a few directs/softs and maybe used a low power flash bounce to remove casting shadows.

Permabanned
OP
Fstop11 said:
Also to be critic I only personally find numbers 3,9,11 to be the ones that I would keep. I find some of the composures/angles not to work and some shots taken to catch a models bad side during changing on expression.

If It was me then I would personally cut them down to them 3 but thats just what I would do.

I also agree with the lighting coment mentioned above. Its blown out the details around the hair. I would have used a few directs/softs and maybe used a low power flash bounce to remove casting shadows.
It's only my first time being in the studio with my digital camera and also first time using rim lighting. I quite like the blown out hair, it's actually what I was going for :confused:

She is a friend and it's the first time she has had her photos taken in a studio so she brought the peacock feathers coz she saw it in a magazine, lol :o I would have scrapped a lot of the images too but I only kept them there for her.

I know I sound like I'm on the defensive here but I do appreciatte the crit, as long as it isn't harsh and suggestions are made to what could help the photo :)

Well I know you are keen about photography and rather than have a rack of replies saying "there nice" I would post my own honest opinion.
Once your lighting is set up how you need and your settings on the camera are all set up how you require them its all down to Photographer/model relationship/communication.

I feel if what your after is the strong light behind the subject you are better using a white/grey backdrop as the flash light clashes with the black backdrop too harshly.

Associate
Colin_da_Killer said:
I know I sound like I'm on the defensive here but I do appreciatte the crit, as long as it isn't harsh and suggestions are made to what could help the photo :)

thats all we were doing? nobody was being harsh surely?

Associate
ChroniC said:
To be critical, i dont like the way you positioned that flash behind her. I dont think the glowing effect works to well, i think it over exposes sides of her face, and creates to much glare.

i agree the flash behind her doesnt look right... what you aiming for with these photos??? traditional portraiture or experimenting???

Back
Top Bottom