remember the gut who got caught at 156mph ?

Soldato
I'm not disputing the sentence, but wot annoys me greatly is the fact that people who have killed through dangerous driving get the same or less.

Yet they have KILLED people, the difference being he hasn't.

Don
Originally posted by Mr.E.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3030327.stm

He deserved longer in jail, idiot:rolleyes:

So, just to play devils advocate.

A burgler will get less time in prison for burglerising people (if at all). Did the driver cause more public harm and distress than a burgler?

A few years ago a motorcyclist I knew was killed by a myopic driver who pulled out of a side road in front of him without looking. The car driver had no license and no insurance and was currently disqualified. The car driver got 6 months poridge.

So, taking my friend's life is only one 5th worse offense than driving at high speed?

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Very harsh, unless it was rush hour traffic and built up area's he was driving like a loon in. Still him doing 120mph in a 40mph zone is just stupity though.

Associate
OP
Remember this guy was driving while disqualified and had no insurance aswell.
The judicial system is well fkd up, giving burglars the right to sue someone who attacks them while theyre in their home is lunacy as is many of the other sentences we see in the papers every day. But thats a different story.

The A90 has one of the worst death tolls on any UK road, how would you feel if he hit someone you know at 150mph killing the occupants while disqualified ?
I know we all speed at some time or another, but this is just over the top.

Soldato
Originally posted by Andyman
Would you want him jailed if he were standing outside a school waving a knife at kids? He's threatening their lives in the same way.

if he was going past a school then fine, i have no idea what the roads/conditions/times were so i cant comment properly

Associate
Originally posted by moss
if he was going past a school then fine, i have no idea what the roads/conditions/times were so i cant comment properly
30/40mph limits exist for a reason. Usually they indicate built up areas where your likely to encounter pedestrians and turning vehicles. IMHO doing 120 in a 40 is far far worse than the 158 on a dual carriageway. Having driven across German in the TT touching 160 at times I know how much distance this speed eats up. But on straight roads where all other road users expect high speed the risk is reduced. In urban areas other road users won't be expecting that kind of speed and wouldn't of given him sufficient room to Manoeuvre.

Don
Originally posted by eidolon
I agree, I was only commenting on the thread title of 156mph.

Come on, own up. How many of the 150mph+ car/bike owners have tested their top speed?

me :D

and I don't care what you preachers say as stated earlier there are burglars and murderers getting away with merry hell, I speed all the time (and pay for the privilige) am I an idiot maybe so, but I'm confident in my car and more importantly uprated brakes, in fact I could scrub off 150mph quicker than most cars could break from 70. doing time for speeding is a complete and utter joke, read yesterday's papers and see the story about the guy suing coz he got injured in a burglary, he had a list of offences a mile long = justified jail time.

crime = prison
speeding = points/ban = you pay for being a fool but not even remotely similar to any other criminal offence.

lets think what people will respond with...
Q."you will kill some innocent pedestrian, then how will you feel?"
A. "on a motorway?? fool shouldn't be walking in the fast lane"

Q. "What if someone pulls out infront of you"
A. "I know which roads to speed on (well not all of them clearly :p) and I would never ever do that kind of speed during the day"

blah blah blah I know I'm portraying myself as a careless driver but I would be lying if I replied in any other way.

Soldato
Originally posted by Will Gill
owning up post

i think almost everyone that drives a car fast enough to do 150mph will have tried it....i know i would, shame my micra struggles to get past 100 :p, people buy fast cars for a reason. as you mentioned in your post your car (scooby i think) could stop way quicker from 150 than my car could from 70.

Soldato
Originally posted by moss
your car (scooby) could stop way quicker from 150 than my car could from 70.

I doubt it - the distance a car covers doing 150mph is waaaaaaay more than a car doing 70mph, regardless of the cars better ability to stop it will take a longer distance.

It would be interesting to test :)

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Sundance Kid
I doubt it - the distance a car covers doing 150mph is waaaaaaay more than a car doing 70mph, regardless of the cars better ability to stop it will take a longer distance.

It would be interesting to test :)

I remember when Aston martin launched the DB7. It stopped from 70mph in less than half the time and distance quoted in the highway code. And that was a few years ago now.

I also remember on Top Gear about 3 or 4 years back, they compared the braking performance of a pair of citroen saxo's, one a 1.0 litre base model, the other the VTS. The VTS stopped in under half the distance it took the other car from the same speed.

I would certainly expect a scooby with uprated brakes to comfortably outbreak a micra.

I've just changed from a rover 214 to a civic VTI, and the distance in stopping power has really opened my eyes.

-Dolph

Back
Top Bottom