Freeview through your tft

Soldato
Is there anyway of using a normal tft monitor as a tv? i.e getting a scart to vga cable and connecting a digital freeview box to the monitor?

Man of Honour
that should do the trick since the tuner is built into the freeview box...just need to connect it up correctly to the screen. not sure if a Scart > VGA would work, but maybe someone else can advise

Soldato
OP
Baddass said:
that should do the trick since the tuner is built into the freeview box...just need to connect it up correctly to the screen. not sure if a Scart > VGA would work, but maybe someone else can advise

It is possible to do though?

Associate
I know a site that sells exactly what you need, but I dunno if I can post it here? Overclockers don't sell them I don't think so I'm assuming it's ok?

Edit: problem is freeview (and most other boxes, sky etc) only output in PAL or RGB and VGA to my knowledge is YUV, so you'd need a RGB > YUV converter which are around £60. does your monitor not have composite input?

Last edited:
Associate
The RGB signal from SCART is compatible with VGA, but the vertical and horizontal sync are carried on separate conductors with VGA, where as with SCART they are carried as one composite signal.
So you need additional circuitry to separate the signals.

Permabanned
I don't know what the reception is like on these things, and if you need any kind of booster aerial? My sister had one and reception was awful, yet on her actual TV it was ok. I guess it depends what area you're in and what part of the house the PC is. Hit and miss I guess.

Soldato
GFresh said:
Ok, found the circuit diagram for merging the sync signals HERE

That's going from VGA -> Scart though, it wouldn't work the other way round (the diodes wouldn't allow it)

You need to split the sync signals to plug an RGB Scart source in to VGA.

Soldato
Scart to VGA SyncBlaster Cable

Connect RGB scart equipment directly to Plasma and LCD screens/projectors
• Incorporates a full functional sync separator and amplifier
• All essential components built into one neat lead
• No additional power supply needed (for most applications)

Last edited:
Soldato
Im thinking about selling my 20inch lcd tv and 19inch lcd monitor, buying a 22inch lcd monitor and conecting PC and SKy to it using that cable.

Soldato
OP
neocon said:
Scart to VGA SyncBlaster Cable

Connect RGB scart equipment directly to Plasma and LCD screens/projectors
• Incorporates a full functional sync separator and amplifier
• All essential components built into one neat lead
• No additional power supply needed (for most applications)

This would defenatly work? no need for tv cards, no need for any other bit and pops, just plug one end from freeview box and one end into vga socket on tft monitor?

Whats this cable called

Associate
Phil99 said:
That's going from VGA -> Scart though, it wouldn't work the other way round (the diodes wouldn't allow it)

You need to split the sync signals to plug an RGB Scart source in to VGA.

This diagram is for merging the sync, SCART needs a merged (composite) sync signal.
You should be able to see from the direction of the diodes that they are merging the sync.

Back
Top Bottom