are shops price fixing

Permabanned
just been looking around, the same goods in all the large shops seem to have the same sale price, and ive just noticed this on their web pages.
Just wondering why reduce something from 19.99 to 13.49 in all 5 high st shops, this also extends to other items.

Soldato
Depending what shops you are thinking of, quite a few electrical and computer stores (which are all competitors) are all owned by the same company, so will obviously all have the same price.

Soldato
crashuk said:
Just wondering why reduce something from 19.99 to 13.49 in all 5 high st shops, this also extends to other items.
Probably something to do with manufacturers and suppliers dropping prices or offering identical deals to retailers. It's not in a retailer's best interest to drop the "Recommended Retail Price" in line with the deals they're passing on, so it appears as though numerous retailers are offering identical savings.

Either that or it could be linked to an impending house price crash?

*av

Associate
I dunno some companies owned by the same people have different prices for items, although the vast majority are the same, as they are in most shops, not just ones owned by the same people.

Soldato
Jotun said:
Depending what shops you are thinking of, quite a few electrical and computer stores (which are all competitors) are all owned by the same company, so will obviously all have the same price.

Yea, burtons, topman and some others are owned by Arcadia iirc.

Soldato
Jambo said:
Sounds more like price matching to me.
Spot on. I usually shop in Tesco and they've been doing a deal on two cases of 20 x 300ml bottles of Grolsch for the last two months. In Morrisons and Asda in the last week and all of a sudden they've got them too. So somebody is price matching and not fixing.

My Wife works for John Lewis and they have this slogan "Never knowingly undersold" - teams of them go round competitors making sure their prices match or are better than those in JL. Even if you buy something in JL and find it cheaper in another store within 30 days they'll refund you the difference. Got me a £400 back on the Toshiba LCD TV I bought from them last year :)

Suspended
John Lewis are
icon14.gif

Back
Top Bottom