Do you rotate your tyres?

Soldato
TripleT said:
Depends on what FWD car you have though. You have to be doing something pretty stupid in mine for it to understeer int he first place. But if it's your avage corsa than I suppose that they're likely to understeer before oversteer (I've had one, I know! :p)

Surprisingly not, most people gut reaction when something goes wrong mid corner is to back off, some really daft people it is to brake. Bye bye back end on a FWD, if you have loads of grip at the front and none at the back that will just make it much worse and harder to get back.

Lift off oversteer is great.... unless you dont expect it and have no idea what you are doing. More grip at the back For the win!

Soldato
Oakesy2001uk said:
Trust me when you loose the rear in the wet one day (when your not trying to :cool: ) your thinking will change dramaticly! It takes more skill to correct a rear slide, than deal with a bit of understeer.

The message here is simple, dont skimp on tyres!!

understeer scares me more than oversteer. oversteer is more of an active thing, you have more say in whats going on.

Caporegime
New tyres generally just mean more tread than 'old' tyres.

This is only going to really help in the wet, worn tyres are usually better in the dry than fully treaded ones.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Simon said:
New tyres generally just mean more tread than 'old' tyres.

This is only going to really help in the wet, worn tyres are usually better in the dry than fully treaded ones.

Only slight issue is that i swear as the tyre gets toward the markers its compound changes, i seem to notice a severe lack of traction in all circumstances, and the tyre takes an age to wear down at all at this stage.

Maybe i am going mad and its all psycological due to me knowing that the tyres are bad, but i am sure i am not mistaken over the rate of wear.

Permabanned
The contis on my ST are terrible once they go past 4-5mm tread, up untill then they were well grippy, and that was with ESP off.

Mind you esp off in this weather is a nono :p

Associate
wohoo said:
The contis on my ST are terrible once they go past 4-5mm tread, up untill then they were well grippy, and that was with ESP off.

Mind you esp off in this weather is a nono :p

The 17" bridgestones on my golf got really bad when they wore down to the marker, there was less tread to "move" on the tyre and the tyre became less tolerant of road surfaces.

I summised that this was making the tyre less compliant during cornering and was causing lack of lateral grip, not to mention the car felt like the tyres were also overinflated due to the excessive road noise and rumblimg within the car.

So in my experience tyres do "go off" as they approach the limit, but it is not necessarily due to a change in the compound, but hey i could be wrong I am no rubber freak :)

I should add, wet roads up here are the norm and I reckon I could count on one hand the amount of dry roads I remember driving on in past year :(,

Last edited:
Permabanned
The best reason I can see for rotation is the huge discounts you can get for buying 4 tyres at once, I'll be going for 20% off at Costco for all four when I replace mine with PS2s.

Caporegime
If you are going to lose it on a bend, unless you are running bald/canvas, a few mm's of tread is going to make bugger all difference to oversteer. Lift-off is of course due to the shift in weight from the back of the car to the front, allowing the backend to slide, the difference between 20mm of tread and 10mm of tread, unless it's peeing with rain, will be completely negligble.

When I had a puncture on my old car (rear left,) the garage replaced the rears with existing fronts, and then put the new tyres on the front.

Last edited:
Permabanned
dalex said:
some of us run 4x4 which require tyre rotation every 6k so the transfer box doesnt suffer wind up and break when in 4 wheel drive,some people dont bother especially on volvos and freelanders and it gets very expensive about £2k a time for replacements .
So 4 tyres at a time for us is a good investment
dave
merry xmas and a happy new year
:D :D :D :D

Not sure i agree with that...i drive PROPER 4x4 and never rotate my tyres, there is no point as all 4 corners wear at an identical rate :)

Don
Can't see any point in making a new thread, since all of this still applies..

I've had my tyres for 9 months, have covered roughly 6600 miles, just checked how much I have left on them with a tyre depth gauge.

3.5-4mm on the front and 5.5-6 mm on the rear

It's a FF car, and I'm planning on getting slightly bigger tyres when I replace these (195/55/15 instead of 195/50/15), so would like to replace them all at once.

They are directional, so It'll have to be a front/back straight swap. Would now be a good time to swap them? I'm not sure how deep the tread is on new tyres?

Man of Honour
My tyres do go round, so rotate often :D

Gism0.jpg

Soldato
Well no matter how many silly cliches you use ;) I don't agree at the end of the day game of two halves big picture....

Brilliant, water down the wrong hole means I now cant stop coughing

If the tyre needs replacing it needs replacing what the point in moving them around, tyres are one of the most important parts of any car

Back
Top Bottom