Any Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro owners?

Associate
Hello. I'm looking to get a 70-300mm ish lens for my 350D, and I'm stuck deciding between this Sigma and the Canon 75-300 USM. I know this was asked not long ago and the answer was resoundingly the Sigma, but I've got a more specific problem with deciding.

I've seen tests / sample shots where the Sigma is better optically, plus it has 2:1 macro capabilities which is handy. However....

I've also heard that the Sigma is slow to focus and hunts around in low light. This could be a problem 'cos I want to be able to use it occasionally for sports / cars / planes / wildlife (birds, etc) i.e. things which move fairly fast. I've had a play with the Canon and was very impressed with the speed of it, but I haven't been able to try out the Sigma.

What I want to know is what are people's experiences with the Sigma's focus speed / accuracy? Is it quick enough to use fairly reliably at motor / plane / sports events? How usable is it in low light?

Ta, Scott.

Soldato
just sold mine a few weeks back, i found the focus hunted quite a bit , also the front turns as it focuses (very annoying) , i wouldnt recommend for action shots

for general use its not bad though

Soldato
Yeah, I was selling mine until I thought I'd wait until I actually sell the 300D n bits, so I can actually afford a better replacement. If you've got time to set up for the shot, it seems fine. Not great, just fine. It does tend to seek a bit as said above, and I found it to be a little soft in places.

Don't get me wrong, I've taken some great shots with it (according to others, I thought they sucked so they got deleted :D) and for the price it's a good everyday lens.

Soldato
Yer I have the 70-300 and use it a lot for motorsport.

Personally I find the focus quite fast enough. As for it hunting around, it does in low light, however as long as you are on top of the game and you are ready and waiting for a shot a few seconds before the cars emerge from a corner or whatever, then its not an issue at all.

Its only ever an issue if you are slow to react or if a car comes in to view when you were not expecting it, in which case it will still focus in time, you wont miss the shot, but you might miss the magic shot you were hoping for.

For the money it is excellent and it has served me well so far at motorsport events, I cant wait for the superbikes and touring cars to come back up here in a few months time.

Associate
I have the none APO version, as said above it can hunt a bit in low light (used it to at newcastle airport today and was shouting at it a couple of times :p ). However for the money it carn't be beat plus the macro is useful also. Will be keeping mine until I can buy something a bit faster like the sigma 70-200 2.8.

Soldato
I've had this lens for a while now (about 6 months). The focus is fast enough for most things and I've never noticed it struggling to focus in low light levels, but it isn't great at focusing on low-contrast items. When I went out to do some photos in the mist we've been having, it was just going in and out, in and out - had to switch to manual.

People say that it isn't brilliantly sharp around the edges of zoom range, but I think it's quite reasonable. When Practical Photography mag (I think it was that one, anyway) did a sort through of the affordable zooms, the sigma 70-300 DG APO macro and the tamron equivalent came out on top.

Associate
OP
Hmmm ok thanks guys, I don't think I'll need particularly fast focussing in low light so that's OK. If it's fast enough for motorsport it will probably be fast enough for me, I'm just worried in case I want to start shooting sports etc with it. I'll probably go for it in the new year.

Soldato
Is there a vast difference in the APO and non-APO versions of this lens? Been thinking about one for my D50. I desperately need a zoom!

Associate
I have this lens, I use it mainly for equine events and motorsport. It's a very good lens for the money, although as people mention above it does hunt for focus quite a bit in low light conditions.

Also the focus is quite loud, which can be irritating/embarassing in situations such as a dressage test (quiet please!)

Long-term, I plan to replace the Sigma with the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR when I can afford it.

Soldato
Soldato
rich_g85 said:
Also the focus is quite loud, which can be irritating/embarassing in situations such as a dressage test (quiet please!)
Yeah, forgot to mention that. It is very loud compared to more expensive lenses.

You get what you pay for, though. For the price, it's great.

Back
Top Bottom