New chipsets for Vista? When?

Associate
We tested some business version of Vista on 975 MOBOs and really the boot is like XP, performance with E6600 is the same, the only cool thing is the new theme Aero, so my question : When we are going to see new Chipsets for Vista?
I remember on the developer community everyone wanted new chipsets like supporting faster boots, using flash memory to allocate part of the boot and other features not supported by actual chipsets.
I found this so Vista ready is just Markting! :mad:

http://www.intel.com/technology/magazine/computing/robson-1206.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_drive
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperFetch#ReadyDrive
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/foreveryone/performance.mspx#more

Associate
OP
Sadly most people don't know this and think that Vista sucks, but there isn't the OS is all about the hardware.
What are thinking the chipsets companies? :confused:
I know Samsung will finish their Hard drive supporting Ready boost, but without a proper chipset will mean nothing. :(

Soldato
All ASUS and ASRock Vista certified motherboards support SATA 2.5, DVI video (if they have onboard video) and Readyboost already. Other manufacturers should be able to just add these features to future BIOS releases. As I understand it, the big issue is going to be memory as almost all current motherboards are 8Gb limited and to run those 8Gb, the latencies are horrendous, but even that is only an issue in Vista 64.

Associate
OP
http://www.asrock.com/news/vista.asp
http://www.asrock.com/news/vista.asp?p=1
http://www.asrock.com/news/vista.asp?p=2#support
All this means you can run it, Basic and premium versions, but they never say nothing about other Vista technologies, like Super fetch, Ready drive, etc.
If you saw the Bill Gates demo with a prototipe with Vista, it boot in 2 seconds :eek:
So current hardware is way out of date for Vista, you can run the nefty themes, but it will be like XP.
That's why Microsoft has delayed DX10 for Vista, now is a subversion "L" from DX9.
Anyways, most people are dumb and will get this hardware "Vista ready" :o
I have seem developing after market before.

Soldato
edgaruy1980 said:
All this means you can run it, Basic and premium versions, but they never say nothing about other Vista technologies, like Super fetch, Ready drive, etc.
If you saw the Bill Gates demo with a prototipe with Vista, it boot in 2 seconds :eek:
So current hardware is way out of date for Vista, you can run the nefty themes, but it will be like XP.
That's why Microsoft has delayed DX10 for Vista, now is a subversion "L" from DX9.
Anyways, most people are dumb and will get this hardware "Vista ready" :o
I have seem developing after market before.

Those technologues are all implemented at the operating system driver level, not third party hardware. Those boards all fully comply with all the requirements to fully run all aspects of Windows Vista in all it's forms. I had a Windows XP system that would boot inside 5 seconds using a Gigabyte RAM drive and my laptop resumes instantly. I'm not sure whether you are trolling or what, but your entire premise is wrong as far as I can see.

Soldato
There is nothing on that link that requires chipset level support. All the link restates is that Vista can now handle memory better, use hybrid hard drives to their full extent and use flash memory for better system performance.

There are no hardware requirements listed. The hardware specifications were set a long time ago and will be implemented in time for the launch of the product.

Soldato
WJA96 said:
Those technologues are all implemented at the operating system driver level, not third party hardware.
Not true.

OK, so not strictly Motherboard related in terms of core chipset, but hard drives (or potentialy drive controllers on motherboards) need NVRAM on board to support ReadyDrive. That requires third party hardware changes/support and is not implemented in OS only.

ReadyBoost (using a USB/SD RAM card to act as an intermediary between the OS and HDD for virtual memory) shouldn't be confused with DriveReady

DX10 support for video will also need appropriate hardware changes to support Vista functionality on M/B using integrated GPUs.

Bitlocker full drive encryption using TPM requires chipset level support for TPM functionality on the motherboard

So whilst the OP may have been slightly confused about how the technologies work he wasn't trolling and if you take a broad view was correct in that to take advantage of some of the new Vista technologies new hardware is required.

Having said all that, you are correct in as much as most of the Vista improvements to security and performance don't require "Vista specific" motherboards.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Athanor - the Windows Vista hardware requirements are listed here;

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winlogo/hwrequirements.mspx

They are totally set in tablets of stone and are extremely detailed - check out the 23 page document that describes how a Windows Vista Start Key has to be set out - 1 keyboard key - 23 pages!

Anyway - if your hardware complies with the top hardware specification, it will run ALL features of Vista. No exceptions. It has to or it doesn't get the badge. So by asking when the new chipsets are coming out, the OP wasn't exactly being straightforward.

The chipset specification is determined by the chipset manufacturer. The devices attached to that motherboard (including hybrid hard drives and anything else) require a driver to operate with the motherboard. It is Microsoft's responsibility to either write those drivers or have them written by the hardware manufacturer. In short - new technology is handled by the operating system at driver level and it has features built-in at application level to make the system easier to use. And never forget that everything has to work with all today's and yesterdays hardware as well.

Soldato
I'm well aware of how the HCL works ta..

The OP was talking specifically about features like ReadyDrive. It looks like he assumed that it was a specific feature of the motherboard rather than additional hardware. So rather than jump on him accusing him of trolling lets cut him some slack, change the word "chipset" to "technology" or "hardware" and explain how stuff like ReadyDrive will achieve the effect he was looking for.

Jeez people are grumpy round here! :)

Soldato
Athanor said:
I'm well aware of how the HCL works ta..

Step away from the handbags ladies....

Athanor said:
The OP was talking specifically about features like ReadyDrive. It looks like he assumed that it was a specific feature of the motherboard rather than additional hardware. So rather than jump on him accusing him of trolling lets cut him some slack, change the word "chipset" to "technology" or "hardware" and explain how stuff like ReadyDrive will achieve the effect he was looking for.

So, in otherwords, the OP doesn't know how the HCL works.

Athanor said:
Jeez people are grumpy round here! :)

Well, you'd be grumpy too if you'd just answered that question about how to overclock an E6300 with a Gigabyte DS3 and GeIL PC6400 Ultra AGAIN! I am starting to hate users with single and double digit postcounts who have read the first page of the DS3 overclocking sticky and assume that because it worked with the F3 BIOS, it must work with the F7 BIOS too.

Sorry.... Must get some real human interaction soon.... :rolleyes:

Soldato
This site is bad for repeated threads, isn't it? No-one seems to read any other 'spec me's before posting their own and, as you say, the same overclocking queries seem to come up almost daily. And, to cap it all, your sig's gone AWOL.....

Back
Top Bottom